Discuss sacked for what i deemed as safe in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi again GWOD
I still stand by all code 1's have to be rectified or made safe before you leave the place of work ! 1st its the supervisor who done the periodic so his fault although as im sure you know never connect up something unless you know exactly what it is even if isolated as how did you do the dead/live tests ? the problem your going to face is although it was 100% his fault as you changed the CU thus altering the install the periodic will be overuled by your install ! thats what they will say in court as now you cant prove otherwise. was the install energized before you left ?

You have a good case mate, from what I can see you left the property safer than when you found it, because you had seperation of circuits (which is a reg by the way;))

Did you actually isolate the circuit with an MCB lock or did you just flip the switch?

If you have the PIR which states that the heater was on a code 1 and can prove that the person who did the PIR left the heater energized, then you have proof that you left the property safer than when you found it. Just worried about how you isolated the circuit that's all..........

Good luck

got my court date through now any last minute advice ????????????
My advice (for what it's worth) would be to keep information as simple and to the point as it can be, and have any notes and evidence in an order that you can find details quickly, court hearings tend to given the minimum of time and the more organised you are the better. It may be useful to send a copy of any evidence to the court in advance so they can see your side of events before the hearing. Keep us posted on how you get on, and I hope it all goes well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes good luck Buddy just a quick thought have you spoke to the owner of the house this happend in ? as said you still left the install safer than it was before you arrived and nobody was hurt/injured or property damaged and the judges are not sparks so its half a dozen of one and 6 of the other.
Hope all goes well !
Good luck buddy !
Regards
Kung.

Surely your employer could not put you on a job without test equipment - IMO that would contravene health and safety at work regs as you would not be able to prove dead or to test and verify the circuits for the PIR.
None of us are solicitors so make sure you check all advice with your representative. It may be worth contacting the companies regulatory body and ask them what they make of the situation.
Good luck!

my company never provided us with locking off devices nor proving units as stated in electrical safty council which they are using as evidence against me
the mcb was left switched off as this was november and the circuit had been on prior to me attenting i took it that it must have been safe as it had been periodic inspected in october so nearly 4 weeks prior to me attending
so in case it was the tenants boiler i just left it swiched off as all electrical supervisors were in a meeting

i also have a statement from the tenant where this incident took place who confirms it was left safer when i left and was also very annoyed that her saftey had been comprimised as the periodic said it was a code 1 required urgent attention yet it was left switched on and she was not informed not to use it nor of its dangers

i have got 2 day in court booked for this case

tbf m8 it sounds as though the company is just trying to shaft you royally ...good luck with this hope it turns out favorably

My bet is they will offer an out of court settlement on the day of hearing. I have had a very similar experience, I used a no win no fee solicitor. (about 6 years ago now) We turned down the out of court settlement and went the whole hog. I was awarded 3k and my solicitor took 20%.

I was worried at first, I expected all manor of high tech questions, there were none at all, just basic electrical safety.

The chairman (and his panel) will decide if it was fair and just to sack you, ie putting people or property in danger through negligence, you must emphasise you left the property safe, and your company did not issue test equipment blah blah blah.

I would be very surprised if you lost

Not sure if the same rules apply now, but winning is just the first hurdle, next they will decide on the amount of comp. this depends how long you were without work after being sacked. My mistake was getting another job within a month.

My case took 3-months to go to hearing, if I had still been out of work I would have got 10k (at the time the max limit was 12k) and is paid tax free, they got 30 days to pay me and paid me after 29 days.

But the chairman had a real go at them, and they got the headlines they didn't want in the local rag.

Its unfair really, especially when 'hurt feelings' can amount to 500k for saying 'nice -----'... but dangerous possibly life threating gets peanuts (it may have changed now)

The chairman is the only one qualified in law and rules on points of law only, the other two are just layman

just an update big day on tuesdsay & wednesday
dont know if i mentioned this incident also
had some evidence sent through to prove ive been treeted fair i was accused of not testing an eatrh the company took the tester off me so only had my stinal to test for continuity never questioned in investigation but they took it upon themselves to take disaplinary action

a bloke has admitted to not knowing what he is doing and leaving a house with 2.5 mm ( if that his words ) as a main earth his investigation took 15 min start to finish with a 5 min ajurnment and was cleared
when i was asked if i tested the earth i said no as in no not adiquatly as my tester will give no reading
hope this is good for me any views
i am not working as a spark now as my confidence took a big knock plus dont ever want to be in a possition where a duty holder can take a dislike ignor all h & s ( guideance notes) ectto move the blame off himslf on to me and accuse me of endangering lives when he and is lapdog supervisors have been guilty first

hi just found this site
can anybody tell me if i have a case for unfair dismissal

i had a board change to do when i got to it and started my work i was not given the periodic that was done 2 weeks prior by my supervisor i noticed a ring main that was bunched i disconected identified the ring placed it in its own circuit it was previosly in a old wylex re-wirable board on a 30amp moved the ring into a new 17th edition board on a 32a mcb the cable that was bunched i placed in a 16 amp mcb in the new board making it safer than it was previously as i did not know what this circuit was i left it swiched off and reported it to my supervisor i was expecting to go back to the property to locate this the next day along with a fault on the ring main my supervisor wouldnt let me go back ........

i later found out during my suspention that the circuit that i had isolated was for a bathroom heater in zone 2 it had been noted on the periodic that it was a code 1 ( required urgent attention ) this was disconnected while the ring was tested on the periodic to identifiy the ring then reinsated along with the ring ......
so the person who done the periodic disconnected the heater along with the ring then reinstated the ring along with the heater noted it as a code 1 got away with out anything where as i isolated the heater and made it 100% safer but i was dismissed

all views welcome do i have a case for unfair dismissal

you should have been given the periodic test as this was proberly what got your company the job at the property. Your supervisor or manager should have made you aware and given you the periodic inspection and test cirtifcate as this had what would have made you awre of the problems with the wiring. Also the person how tested the property first should have disconected the heater in zone 2 as it was not with in 7671 require-ments and as for noting it as a code one he him self has made a bigger mistake by pointing it out him self? HOPE THIS HELPS LET ME KNOW OK

had some evidence sent through to prove ive been treeted fair i was accused of not testing an eatrh the company took the tester off me so only had my stinal to test for continuity never questioned in investigation but they took it upon themselves to take disaplinary action

a bloke has admitted to not knowing what he is doing and leaving a house with 2.5 mm ( if that his words ) as a main earth his investigation took 15 min start to finish with a 5 min ajurnment and was cleared
when i was asked if i tested the earth i said no as in no not adiquatly as my tester will give no reading
hope this is good for me any views
i am not working as a spark now as my confidence took a big knock plus dont ever want to be in a possition where a duty holder can take a dislike ignor all h & s ( guideance notes) ectto move the blame off himslf on to me and accuse me of endangering lives when he and is lapdog supervisors have been guilty first

i would take the view with out the right equipment and being told to do the work any way then the work should never have been carried out. But i is down to your company to provid the right eqipment for the right job. If you are a good spark then dont let ----s like that knock your confidence. I always say if a job is werth doing then do it properly first time round. Dont let othere people push you into doing things you know that you shouldn't do please stick to the regs 7671 then you are always within the law you step out then its you that gets the flack. Remember your name is on the cirtificate!!!

a bloke has admitted to not knowing what he is doing and leaving a house with 2.5 mm ( if that his words ) as a main earth his investigation took 15 min start to finish with a 5 min ajurnment and was cleared What is this about, which bloke and cleared off what?
when i was asked if i tested the earth i said no as in no not adiquatly as my tester will give no reading hope this is good for me any views What do mean tester give no reading? Do you mean you used a voltage /continuity indicatoer as in your sentinal tester to test?

Can you answer questions above?

Last edited:
Can you answer questions above?
someone i worked with tested a house and noted 2.5 ,mm for main earth then left it went back after asking an unqualified person as he was unsure of what the regs the company have submitted a training log that they are useing as evidance against me but his name is on it also

as to my tester correct it is a voltage / continuity ( stinal ) tester no digital reading

you should have been given the periodic test as this was proberly what got your company the job at the property. Your supervisor or manager should have made you aware and given you the periodic inspection and test cirtifcate as this had what would have made you awre of the problems with the wiring. Also the person how tested the property first should have disconected the heater in zone 2 as it was not with in 7671 require-ments and as for noting it as a code one he him self has made a bigger mistake by pointing it out him self? HOPE THIS HELPS LET ME KNOW OK

i would take the view with out the right equipment and being told to do the work any way then the work should never have been carried out. But i is down to your company to provid the right eqipment for the right job. If you are a good spark then dont let ----s like that knock your confidence. I always say if a job is werth doing then do it properly first time round. Dont let othere people push you into doing things you know that you shouldn't do please stick to the regs 7671 then you are always within the law you step out then its you that gets the flack. Remember your name is on the cirtificate!!!

i did not sign the cert i was doing as i had not finished and expected to back to continue with the work the next day but was removed from the job

someone i worked with tested a house and noted 2.5 ,mm for main earth then left it went back after asking an unqualified person as he was unsure of what the regs the company have submitted a training log that they are useing as evidance against me but his name is on it also

as to my tester correct it is a voltage / continuity ( stinal ) tester no digital reading

i did not sign the cert i was doing as i had not finished and expected to back to continue with the work the next day but was removed from the job[/quote

i can not beleive your company did not give you the cert for one this was a must. secondly it would have been better to have sent you back to fix what was wrong i now it was not your fault but to fix the same problem that was first relised. have you been to court yet. if not you will need a solicitor let me now.

also before leaving a electrical installation or remedial works all certificates should be compleated in full to protect your self and the company you work for

Reply to sacked for what i deemed as safe in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock