Discuss school caretaker worries in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hello everyone . I have an update fort you as it's been over a month....IV HEARD NOTHING...

Apparently an expert has been in as said the work is "shoddy ". but safe . today a kit cut through a cable on a machine is sparked and then started to burn . the RCD did NOT trip out . now I have emailed the chief executive who had the report yesterday...I have been told it dose not need a certificate of completion as the rooms not finished .... bull ----. kids are in the room the rooms are finished...

is it time to report this to the HSE

I have to be honist I'm scared to touch anything I have a AC voltage detector on me at all times...
It would be helpful to know the extent of the works carried out, the excuse the room hasn't been finished is in my opinion BS if the electrics are done and dusted then a cert IS required, advice if you are concerned enough to raise your concerns on here then maybe a call to the HSE would be required afterall if you are the responsible person I would do so rather than try and explain why you didn't believe me it's no picnic, been there and done that. If you are genuinely concerned and explain carefully your concerns I can't see the HSE chastising you. Good luck, May be get some independent advice first though, from an expert.

\cNT

Last edited:
hello everyone . I have an update for you as it's been over a month....IV HEARD NOTHING...

Apparently an expert has been in and said the work is "shoddy ". but safe . today a kid cut through a cable on a machine is sparked and then started to burn . the RCD did NOT trip out . now I have emailed the chief executive who had the expert report yesterday...I have been told it dose not need a certificate of completion as the rooms not finished .... bull ----. kids are in the room the rooms are finished...

is it time to report this to the HSE

I have to be honist I'm scared to touch anything I have a AC voltage detector on me at all times...

Ask for a copy of the report so that you can understand, operationally speaking, what has gone on, then get a second opinion in. Was the near-miss reported to the health and safety officer for the organisation?

i do not know what has been done it said . iv had to go to HR and ask . I'll update you when I know more . and thank you

i do not know what has been done it said . iv had to go to HR and ask . I'll update you when I know more . and thank you
HR (Human Remains) will only reiterate what the CEO said, and he probably knows diddly squat about Electrical Safety. only relating to what he has been told, what does the H&S officer have to say about this? or is that a daft question??

HR (Human Remains) will only reiterate what the CEO said, and he probably knows diddly squat about Electrical Safety. only relating to what he has been told, what does the H&S officer have to say about this? or is that a daft question??
With all due respect to School Caretakers every where, they do a thankless job and to try and pile extra duties on to them, which many are not, through any fault of their making qualified to undertake, don't Schools these days employ a Facility Manager? of oversea contractors or technical work, I' ready and willing to advise. or even accept a post as Facility Manager, as long as I can use the Staff room, I'll bring me own Sarnies, School Dinner surely, aint improved that much have they????? lol

can you tell me if this is true it's regarding what iv been told on above ....

"MCB appears to be functioning correctly. Arcing cable could be caused by high voltage on the neutral return. No evidence of short circuit."

This was the 240v cable that was arcking and smoking in 2 weeks ago ☝️☝️☝️ on Monday the school want to see me at 8am to tell me what they are going to do .... the chief executive is also the head of health and safety.. I'm feeling ---- right now as this is being brushed under the carpet...

im really sorry to go on but this is the only place I can talk about it

Last edited:
You say the cable was damaged which may have resulted in damage to a conductor which reduced its csa or severed it completely. This may result in overheating from arcing and hence a smoking cable, this fault would probably not trip an mcb or rcd.

can you tell me if this is true it's regarding what iv been told on above ....

"MCB appears to be functioning correctly. Arcing cable could be caused by high voltage on the neutral return. No evidence of short circuit."

This was the 240v cable that was arcking and smoking in 2 weeks ago ☝☝☝ on Monday the school want to see me at 8am to tell me what they are going to do .... the chief executive is also the head of health and safety.. I'm feeling ---- right now as this is being brushed under the carpet...

im really sorry to go on but this is the only place I can talk about it
Difficult with the CEO being H&S Officers well, how was this situation transmitted to you?
Confliction of interests springs to mind, have you a H&S POLICY, is it posted for all to see, are visitors subject to a briefing before they enter the site? or do they follow their own H&S rules? sounds like a right boggers muddle, backside covering at panic stations, you need urgent help Mate, from a H&S professional, BS rules it seems at your place of employment.

No idea what a brother's middle is but I like the sound if it.

I agree with Pete999, there's a definite conflict of interest going on there.

I suggest you wait until the meeting on Monday to see what is going to happen as it is no good assuming peoples intentions until you know for sure.

You have to ask yourself Mate is, H&S taken seriously in the OPs' School ? sounds like NO IT ISN'T more an A--- covering exercise.
Easy to jump to conclusions things happen no matter how much H&S policy you have in place. We are human not programmed robots.

I will tell you what's what after the meeting . I'm asking for his 18th edition certificate and and completed work certificate... I can't tell you everything because I have an email ready to send to HSE.... I gave spoken to a HSE officer outside of Sussex and I do not want to say anything that might jeopardize anything ..... I'm asking to see the report I will make notes on who and when and if like to ask a few more questions here after ... I will post up my pictures also of why I have had to whistle blow ...
Source URL: school caretaker worries - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/school-caretaker-worries.181998/page-2#post-1603986

Last edited by a moderator:
I will tell you what's what after the meeting . I'm asking for his 18th edition certificate and and completed work certificate... I can't tell you everything because I have an email ready to send to HSE.... I gave spoken to a HSE officer outside 9f Sussex and I do not want to say anything that might jeopardize anything ..... I'm asking to see the report I will make notes on who and when and if like to ask a few more questions here after ... I will post up my pictures also of why I have had to whistle blow ...
Source URL: school caretaker worries - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/school-caretaker-worries.181998/page-2#post-1603986
I wouldn't dwell to much on the 18th cert Mate, if I were you, the Regulations change every 5 mins so not having an up to date book reading qualification does not make you a bad Electrician, asking for proof of the 18th could embarrass you.

I wouldn't dwell to much on the 18th cert Mate, if I were you, the Regulations change every 5 mins so not having an up to date book reading qualification does not make you a bad Electrician, asking for proof of the 18th could embarrass you.
so what should I ask for . I'm right in saying if you gutted a room and completely re wire it and connect it to the consumer panel it should be to regulations 18th edition and what qualifications do you need for giving certificates...

What you need to be is competent this does not necessarily mean a list of recognised qualifications although it would be difficult to prove otherwise, that said qualifications aren't necessarily proof of competence.

so what should I ask for . I'm right in saying if you gutted a room and completely re wire it and connect it to the consumer panel it should be to regulations 18th edition and what qualifications do you need for giving certificates...
An EIC Mate Electrical Installation Certificate, completed with Test results, Like Westward Has said Competency is the criteria, if the Electrician has dome installation work it will need to be tested, proved to be safe to connect to a LV supply. If on the other hand the Sparky has just altered an existing Circuit with no new circuits, The certification required would be a MNEWC Minor New Electrical Works Certificate. whatever will/should prove that the work done is to the correct standard and has bee tested to the correct standard. like I said earlier the BS update 18 th Edition is not proof of competency, it only shows you can read and navigate, what is a large British Standard, there are those that say it is pointless but sadly necessary in todays world of Electrics, don't well on it, it won't prove anything, other that he can read.

If you haven't already I would get joined to a union, Unite or similar would be your best bet, for the few quid membership would cost you'll get legal advice and be in a better position to fight back and defend yourself - If they fire you for whistleblowing then that's unfair dismissal right there, just don't give them any other reasons they might try and use (timekeeping etc)

Reply to school caretaker worries in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock