Discuss selecting type and amount of downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well... I'm a bit of a pro at fitting down lights (well I like to think so anyway)

what at sort of room is it, and how bright do you want it?

just so you know, I have fitted probably 450+ down lights since January in 30 odd rooms from bedrooms, to kitchens, lounges, ensuites, shops.

ive also fitted various types, I am about to fit 4 Aurora M10 lights tomorrow, and got 6 JCC FGLED10 lights next week.

Really you need to decide what lights to go for,

if you want a good light level, I like the Aurora M7 which are about 400 lumens if you want a brighter light go for the M10, they are approx 550 lumens, in a typical bathroom 4 of these are just right, nice and bright, customer is always happy.

now, if you want very bright, go for the JCC FGLED10, they are 850 lumens, you supposedly need a lot less of them as they are a lot brighter and ha e a 60 degree beam angle instead of 40 on the m series Aurora.

I have put all three lights next to each other in a bit of board and the JCC light looks 50% brighter than the M10

it will be in a small bathroom, ill be using led's at the moment we have a 16w 2d fitting which is just the right brightness

Any decent manufacturer would be able to tell you the recommended number and spacing of a particular fitting if you provide the room dimensions.

It all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day, I know how much light you get out of different combinations and use experience to guide me.

For domestic you use a rule of thumb guesstimate based on your experience of the products you fit.
For anything else you will need to look at how much illumination is required according to the guidelines from cibse etc and calculate it properly.

It all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day, I know how much light you get out of different combinations and use experience to guide me.

Yeah exactly. Experience and seeing the job at hand. But we know nothing of the dimensions of the room, shape of the room or ceiling height to make a judgement on in this case.
If my bathroom was the same size but a different shape and a higher ceiling, I reckon 2 10W 60 degree lights would do it. As it is, with a low ceiling and an odd shape, I require 5 lights with 120 degree angle to be effective for the type of light I want.

I try not to over complicate it.

Suggest LEDS and explain the difference in type of light... Day, warm, cold etc.

Ask how bright they want the room and position 900-1200mm apart depending on joists and customer's choice.

Remember to get correct lamps if dimming and use trailing edge dimmer switch.

Nearly always use fire rated.

Last edited:
353258_R_Z001.jpg

• Cheaper
  • Point it in any direction
  • Even use one of those new fangled energy saving lamp
  • Mrs Customer can take Mr customer out and have great fun choosing suitable shade
  • When Mrs Customer gets sick of suitable shade she can take Mr Customer out again to choose a different one

What is there not to like about these. Certainly the way forward in bath room lighting.

JCC provided some guidance on spacing of their luminaires on their web site, i.e. so you don't space them too far apart and get dark spots.

Our bathroom is approx 1800mm x 1800mm with a ceiling height approx 2200mm. It may well be case that I fit a new 2d fitying. But because I have never fitted downlights before I fancy installing them in my bathroom, also the ceilings are made of laff and plast I'm sure it'll be OK to cut the desired sized holes in the ceiling. Amazing how ive been in the trade for over 5 years and haven't installed certain things which I'm sure many on here do on a daily basis. Thanks for your advice I'll check out jcc website from experience I like jcc fittings always seem a decent quality

Ooooohhhh, lathe & plaster, wouldn't try fitting down lights in that. If you determined to have them, remove the lathe & plaster & re-board & skim or cut large hole where each fitting is going, & then re-board/skim.

Ooooohhhh, lathe & plaster, wouldn't try fitting down lights in that. If you determined to have them, remove the lathe & plaster & re-board & skim or cut large hole where each fitting is going, & then re-board/skim.
it can be done, we have put spots in lathe before and as long as your are careful its fine.

you could always cut some ply and put that in the hole first if you need to

Yet j structure from the customer was, it's feather edge boards, they are just going to fill the screw holes and the strip in the middle and then paint it.

Personslly I think they are idiots and should have skimmed it, but that's what they wanted!

Reply to selecting type and amount of downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net