Discuss Setting up on my own in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Richard3009

I have been an JIB 16th edition approved electrician for 25 years, with good experience on domestic and industrial installations.
I wish to set up on my own, the inspection test and self certifying part is very confusing, do I need to get this qualification, any advice really welcomed, Im just trying to get an idea of where to start.

Thank you in advance

yes you require membership to :
niceic, napit, elecsa, eca to be able to sign off your own work (or pay building control direct - not really cost effective)
average price is about £400 per year and as your qualified you will only need a onsite inspection of work :)

You are saying I need to sign up to all those, I thought you just needed to take part 1 of the inspection test course to certify your own work, what are most one man band electrical outfits doing to certify their work?

Am i not right in saying you do not have to be a member of any of these bodies its just most people prefer you are a member, domestically anyway:confused:

OK putting aside the organisation leeches, self certifying of installation what's the best route?, I assume 17th edition upgrade is the first port of call yes?

!7th edition update is a must. However, if you are up to 16th then they will allow you to do it within first 6 months ish of joining.

You do not need 2391 to self cert, although some schemes require it.

Self cert is the way to go. Notifying LABC yourself and paying them huge sums of money is pointless.

See what I mean about it being a grey area, there must be a set minumum requirement of qualification to self certify, I have seen certs issued with no registration number????

What is the bare essentials to self cert ones work; taking into account I'm already an approved JIB electrician, ie do a domestic electrical job hand over the required certificate of compliance and invoice the customer.

The minimum requirements are set by the government and one of them being 17th edition.

There is nothing whatsoever about having to be 2391 qualified as well. However, SOME of the schemes make this one of their requirements although i know the NIC DO NOT if you can prove competency through a more in depth assessment.

Read this, page 7: http://www.niceic.com/library/B5487--Guide-to-Enrolment.pdf

and this: ELECSA - Requirements & Costs

Last edited by a moderator:
going with a group ie the niceic is a great option as this generates pleanty of work as the general public are advised to use nic companys and many estate agents who have testing done rq it to be done by an nic company, but you dont have to be in a group to self certify you can do it yourself take your part pand become part p registerd then all you have to do is send the local authority an email to issue a part p not sure what charges there are though but you need to ask how do plumbers certtify part p when carrying out minor electric work ie down lights in bathrooms and not pay the local authority a fortune.

They take a defined scope course which because most of them rarely use their newly aquired "skills" they forget about pretty soon after. Doesn't matter though because they already have a bit of paper which proves that they're competent(until something goes wrong)

They take a defined scope course which because most of them rarely use their newly aquired "skills" they forget about pretty soon after. Doesn't matter though because they already have a bit of paper which proves that they're competent(until something goes wrong)

its a disgrace lost count of the amount of times i have seen gu10 downlights in shower cubicles installed by plumbers every one should stick to their own trade .

So take part P whatever that is and become part P registered however you do that, :eek:

Fairly straight forward then???????

So before I can sell my trade do my job, I need to go back to school, you can't work in this country if you want to, no easy route then.

on the contrary as youre qualified you need to join either:
nic napit elecsa etc which will cost £400 then off you go (prob need to accquire 17th ed within first 12 months of joining

joining one of the above is partp (allowing you to sign off your own work without building control involvement)

arrrr I see they inspect your work periodicly, and in effect they take the responsibilty of issuing the certificate for a fee each year, so to get started sign up to them do a couple of jobs and let them inspect them, can you get certs issued for your initial jobs??

Richard - I set upon my own 9 months ago. No previous experience in the trade but the military paid for my re training when I left after 30 years. I have 16th/17th edition, Eal Domestic installers cert and 2391 Insp & Test. I get more work than I can cope with and I am not registered with NIC/Napit etc. All I do is take on the jobs that have a building inspector (extensions etc) or for a CU change factor in the cost of Local Authority building inspector (£117.50 in this area). I issue certificates (Green ones) and guarantee my work. This Part P thing is a nonesense. I have the part P qualification, which is not worth the £260 exam fee as it does not excempt me from having to register, but have chosen not to as I get plenty of work without. I charge a couple of pounds less on my hourly rate to offset any inspection costs and at the moment it far outweighs the advantages given by joining one of the bodies. What gets to me is the fact that the building inspector is not inspecting electrics, only where the cables run. They wouldn't know T&E from SWA so what are they inspecting? I should think with your experience you would not have any trouble getting plenty of work and deciding afterwards which body you register with. Good Luck

Reply to Setting up on my own in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock