Discuss Shallow outside decking lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just quoted a job to install 4 x bollard lights, a pack of 10 x sunken down lights and an LED strip for a bit of feature lighting underneath the banister. I thought the decking was about a foot high but it turns out its only going in at 6 inches above ground level, this ruins my plans of wiring it in SWA to adaptable box's underneath the decking and rubber flexing out to various fittings.

I don't do much domestic so I was wondering if any of you guys could shed some light on the problem? The three different types of lights are individually switched by the way.

Cheers lads

Moosey

Hard to say without knowing the connection possibilities for the lights. Bollards for example often have a trap door in the base with space for a connection unit which will take two SWA's.Cheapos might just have an open base with a connector block.Sunken lights are trickier,but the golden rule is any joints must be both weather proof and accessible. That might mean wiska boxes on the outside struture or in traps in the decking....but dont allow them to be boxed in beyond future access.

The lights I'm providing look like the cheapo variety :) they only have the connector block in them. I'm providing Saxby lights - bliss bollards 13799.

If I use the wiska box's with cw glands and lay them with the cover facing upwards how reliable would they be with combating water ingress? Or do I need to use a load of silicon too?

The sunken lights I think I can get away with housing the transformer in the house and running the patch unit where the lights plug into out to underneath the decking. But if this isn't possible how do I protect the transformer in a big enough box when there is no room in the void?

If it helps this is what I'm ordering from saxby:-

Cheers wirepuller :)

Reply to Shallow outside decking lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net