Discuss Shower pull switchs which need replacing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

KevinS

Had my NICEIC assessment today, all went well.
We got onto the subject of functional switching and they agreed that a switch for the shower is not necessary. My thoughts are, in future I am thinking about crimping the cables instead of putting in a new pull switch.
Just wondering what your thoughts are on this.
Ps my main reason for this is:- I see lots of these switches burnt out where the tenants switch the shower off (still under load) and by crimping thru it is one less point for a problem to occur.
Just thought I could use the red wago's which will take 6mm and are rated at 41A
Any thoughts?

make sure you fit them in an enclosure.

Yeah plan was to do it inside the shower pattres then fit a single blank (possibly with a bead of silicone)
i realise that I can only do this if the shower has its own on/off button, but I think most of them do anyway

Just a cautionary note here ; Redring for one say that the shower MUST be connected through a double pole switch with a seperation............ and they recommend a pull switch.

One major problem with this idea if implemented, the method of isolating and switching OFF for mechanical maintenance is remote form the shower unit and BS7671:2008+A1:2011 537.2.1.5 & 537.3.1.2 apply. If in the future the Plumber working on the shower unit is unintentional electrocuted, because I had assumed an MCB or main switch was a suitable means of switching OFF from mechanical maintenance. I would not like to try arguing in a Court of Law that all Plumbers should carry full lockout kits because I had not provided a simple means of locking-off via a removable operating handle, key or the use of a padlock.

Last edited by a moderator:
And as Ruston has pointed out the manufacturers instructions may call for it. If you want to get rid of a pull switch then what about placing an isolator out of sight, in loft/cupboard etc, with a label on the CU stating where it is?

Agreed with all your comments lads, I see no reason that the double pole switch must be fitted. Wether the manufacturers are stating this to cover their own backs - I don't know.
But yes I do agree the comments regarding plumbers and their lock off kits.
Looks like I will be continuing to fit them, but cutting the cord short so they struggle to turn them on and off.
well it was a good idea................ Briefly!

Just one last point.
I also always fit them, but the number that I come across which have melted the cables, arced the contacts, etc is unbelievable. I see more of these burnt, melted than any other type of fitting. What also doesn't help is the cables are usually in the ceiling and they get covered in insulation.
it was just a case of when the NICEIC confirmed my thoughts that you don't have to have one fitted - it got my brain thinking.
I still think there must be a better way.
I know you could put a contacter in at the db, but this is expensive

the simple answer is to fit a D/P switch in the meter cupboard or next to CU.
i doubt the manufacterers instructions specify for it to be fitted "local" to the bathroom.

the simple answer is to fit a D/P switch in the meter cupboard or next to CU.
i doubt the manufacterers instructions specify for it to be fitted "local" to the bathroom.

Lol Redring do.(on the ceiling)

Reply to Shower pull switchs which need replacing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock