Discuss Shower RCD enclosure options in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Need to add an RCD to a shower installation. No options to add in the consumer unit so I'm going to add RCD via an enclosure but I'm struggling to find a nice small enclosure that is of a brand Iv actually heard. Most of them are chint, Europa and other brands....Wylex do a small 3 way ip65 enclosure but comments suggest it's very small inside and I fear terminating 10mm in and out will be a world of pain

Need to add an RCD to a shower installation. No options to add in the consumer unit so I'm going to add RCD via an enclosure but I'm struggling to find a nice small enclosure that is of a brand Iv actually heard. Most of them are chint, Europa and other brands....Wylex do a small 3 way ip65 enclosure but comments suggest it's very small inside and I fear terminating 10mm in and out will be a world of pain

Sorry if you have already considered this, but can you not get an RCBO to replace the MCB in the existing consumer unit?

If that's not an option and you are adding an RCD in an enclosure next to it, I wouldn't worry at all what make the enclosure is, get what makes the best job but just make sure the RCD unit is a quality brand.

Unfortunately not. It's an old rewireable CU. Shower is fed from henly blocks into a stand alone fused enclosure with a 30A bs3036
In that case replace that whole unit with a shower consumer unit. It will come populated with an RCD main Switch and an MCB. What rating is the Electric Shower?

In that case replace that whole unit with a shower consumer unit. It will come populated with an RCD main Switch and an MCB. What rating is the Electric Shower?

That's the plan, however like I've said, I'm struggling to find a shower RCD enclosure that is made by a brand I actually know

The link I have posted above is a Wylex unit. That will replace the existing standalone 3036 overcurrent & short circuit protection with a new unit incorporating an MCB and also add 30ma RCD protection.

True. But it offers little protection from a cold damp environment

A cold and damp house does not mean it needs an IP rated DB. This proposed add on is going next to a 3036 rewirable fuseboard right?
The shower may be the least of their worries.....the place sounds inhabitable lol

Reply to Shower RCD enclosure options in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock