Discuss Shower Wiring in Granny Annexe in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MechEng

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am Faraz, I'm a Mechanical Project Engineer by trade. This is my first post on these forums.

I am looking for some insight into a problem I'm having.

I currently have a 6mm Cable running from the main RCD to a 9.8kW shower in a Granny Annexe. the wire currently runs about 25m long to the Annexe and is run underground from the main property. Now I've always opposed to having a 6mm cable for this application but my father was adamant 6mm was plenty and thus installed it. I believe its a 30A RCD. The shower constantly trips (not surprised) and can't be used for more than 2mins at best before it trips.

For a cable length of <5m I would personally go for 10mm cable and 45A fuse. But I feel that due to the length it would make more sense to go upto a 16mm cable due to the length.

Is 16mm SWA cable overkill? Is 10mm SWA fit for purpose? Average shower time is 15mins total.

Please note this Annexe was a shed before and so I am in the process of correcting the wiring according to the local council's safety regs.

10mm cable is the correct size for your application, as long as it's not buried in insulation, 16mm is overkill and you'll not be able to terminate it. is it the MCB that trips or the RCD? a 32A MCB is too low a rating for 9.8kW.

10mm cable, 50A MCB is my solution.

Hi All,

I am Faraz, I'm a Mechanical Project Engineer by trade. This is my first post on these forums.

I currently have a 6mm Cable running from the main RCD to a 9.8kW shower in a Granny Annexe. the wire currently runs about 25m long to the Annexe and is run underground from the main property. Now I've always opposed to having a 6mm cable for this application but my father was adamant 6mm was plenty and thus installed it. I believe its a 30A RCD. The shower constantly trips (not surprised) and can't be used for more than 2mins at best before it trips.

For a cable length of <5m I would personally go for 10mm cable and 45A fuse. But I feel that due to the length it would make more sense to go upto a 16mm cable due to the length.

Is 16mm SWA cable overkill? Is 10mm SWA fit for purpose? Average shower time is 15mins total.

Please note this Annexe was a shed before and so I am in the process of correcting the wiring according to the local council's safety regs.
Do the calculations and go by that guessing is the wrong way.

Think you need to get some terms correct.

What do you mean by a “main RCD”

I don’t think you mean a 30amp RCD. Perhaps you mean MCB??
RCDs and MCBs are very different things, and you’ll get wrong or confusing advice if you don’t use the right words.

Maybe better for you to post a photo and indicate which device trips.

Hi All,

ypu should be ensuring the wiring complies with BS 7671 mate, not the Council's safety regs whatever they are

Do the calculations and go by that guessing is the wrong way.
What I told my dad too... I tend to ponder though.
[automerge]1568361783[/automerge]
Think you need to get some terms correct.

What do you mean by a “main RCD”

I don’t think you mean a 30amp RCD. Perhaps you mean MCB??
RCDs and MCBs are very different things, and you’ll get wrong or confusing advice if you don’t use the right words.

Maybe better for you to post a photo and indicate which device trips.

You're right, I did mean 30A MCB. Realised my mistake when I read the post again.

Fixed RCD on the consumer unit. And there are some MCBs for different circuits around the house, Separate one for the Shower (which is the one that trips). I'll try and get a photo tonight.

Last edited:

Reply to Shower Wiring in Granny Annexe in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock