Discuss Sign off other people's work in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Signing off other people's work

• Total voters
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
An electrician has stated that he will not sign off work done by someone else he stated "all or nothing".
Just want to check how many electricians on this site would sign off electrical work done by other people.
Yes I would sign off other people's work
No, I would not sign off other people's work

TL;DR
sign off
Might not be a simple yes/no. Nothing wrong with signing off if you've been involved from the start. Or do you mean turning up fresh to a fully completed job and being asked to test and certify it?

I think the rules for 3rd party certification under NAPIT are that you need to be involved at the design stage, see first fix, 2nd fix, cable routes etc... Then inspect & test yourself.

I’d not be happy doing it unless I’d been heavily involved with the above and trusted the person carrying out the work. The best they’d get if I wasn’t, is an EICR on the installation and they’d have to take that to LABC themselves.

How many times have I mentioned this
You can not test some body's work.
Reason you open to game season.
you test some body's work and there's a problem the house burns down is your insurance going to cover it, no. Only your self is insured and the work you do.
That's why NIC and ECA will not let you do it.

How many times have I mentioned this
You can not test some body's work.
Reason you open to game season.
you test some body's work and there's a problem the house burns down is your insurance going to cover it, no. Only your self is insured and the work you do.
That's why NIC and ECA will not let you do it.
This does not seem to be in agreement with the “blue book”. It states that if the installer does not have the skills to test , he (the installer) can appoint someone else.

Does no-one remember the existence of the three part form anymore??
3 part form is not suitable for most of these diy installs.

Although I suppose you could fill out the certificate, put your details in the 3rd part for testing and leave the other 2 parts empty for the designer and Installer to fill in and sign

Not sure what building control would think of it.

This does not seem to be in agreement with the “blue book”. It states that if the installer does not have the skills to test , he (the installer) can appoint someone else.
That’s probably on the proviso that whoever tests is involved in planning, design and installation as without they will be unable to certify the installation side of things along with test results.

That’s probably on the proviso that whoever tests is involved in planning, design and installation as without they will be unable to certify the installation side of things along with test results.
Again, the 3 part form could be used, but in many cases the installer is unable to sign for the design and installation parts because they are unable to prove competence, therefore there signature on the form would be useless

Again, the 3 part form could be used, but in many cases the installer is unable to sign for the design and installation parts because they are unable to prove competence, therefore there signature on the form would be useless
So exactly what would you need to prove competence, no doubt you are suggesting approval by one of these incompetent CP scams

I wouldn’t test someone else’s work unless they were a qualified electrician who I had previously worked with and was happy with their standards or it was an improved/apprentice working under my guidance.

DIYers and kitchen fitters etc can forget it. I’d rather have a day off.

So exactly what would you need to prove competence, no doubt you are suggesting approval by one of these incompetent CP scams
No, I am not suggesting that at all.
Competence can be shown by qualifications or experiance

However if you claim to be competent then you should think about the day you have to stand in court and argue or prove you are competent.

Reply to Sign off other people's work in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock