Discuss Signing off work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P666

-
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am 25 and a qualified electrician I did my level 3 at college and have passed my AM2 and currently employed full time for a company.

I have had a lot more people contacting me for private work (fuse board upgrades).

I am competent and can install and test the board and fill out the relevant test sheets.

Can I sign off the work or do I have to be registered to government body ?

Cheers

doing jobs out side work you company will not insure you for the work .no doult you are a spark ask your boss and see what he says.
That's going go down well Buzz, with his Boss I mean "Am I insured for doing PJs" not a good career choice I would imagine, could get the Spanish Archer "ElBow"

Last edited:
@Paignton pete feel free to comment... I get that my view may be controversial but is there something wrong with my interpretation of the rules or do you not believe that competent electricians should do work without paying a fee?

not sure what happened to paignton petes post , however for what its worth i work in west lancs and used to be in a scheme ,but now just issue the right certs to the customer even when BC are involved ,i do this with a copy of my 2391 and never had a problem.

Doing notification work without being in a Scam is risky but in reality nothing will happen if it’s a basic board swap or simple new circuit

The only sticking point is when the BC come involved to sign off for a new extension for example ‘might’ hold back the completion cert until they receive the partP notification

If you a serious about taking on more side work then imo just stump up the £600 and join a scam (I hate partP but I can’t advocate not playing by the current rules)

The thing is @Dustydazzler if we all as a collective did as @Robson689 says then there would be no part p!
We need a proper union to stand up for sparkies rights! What other trade would stand for the amount of b.s. we have to deal with!!

Party politics about Part P aside, there are considerations to be made for doing work and leaving the compliance to the customer.

I know some say there have an agreement with there LBC. Tried with mine and they weren’t interested.

Retired last year, and I’ve said this before, but I’ve been approached by three old customers in the last year seeking certification and one was after compliance document. All related to house sales. I recently bought and sold. There is a legal document the vendor has to sign, asking various questions about the property. One of which is ‘has there been any electrical work carried out since 2005?’. If so, you have to provide certification and compliance document, if applicable.

Now there might be ways round this issue, but the simplest process for anyone, is employe a sparks in a scheme.

One of which is ‘has there been any electrical work carried out since 2005?’. If so, you have to provide certification and compliance document, if applicable.

And if you can't (which is the most common situation) the vendor pays for indemnity insurance... which is inexpensive.

A mate of mine built an extension to his house which he later sold. His solicitor asked for the completion certificate for the extension, which he had... but by the time he sent it back, the solicitor had already taken out indemnity insurance on his behalf. And that was for a whole extension !!

By issuing a cert you are complying with BS7671, as long as the rest of your work complies you have no massive issues.

However I would go out and get liability and indemnity insurance just in case something does go wrong, even if it's not your fault you could end up out of pocket.

Also ensure your test equipment is kept calibrated and checked as per the manufacturers instructions. Basically cover your arse because if it can go wrong it will go wrong.

And if you can't (which is the most common situation) the vendor pays for indemnity insurance... which is inexpensive.

A mate of mine built an extension to his house which he later sold. His solicitor asked for the completion certificate for the extension, which he had... but by the time he sent it back, the solicitor had already taken out indemnity insurance on his behalf. And that was for a whole extension !!

Indemnity insurance only covers the purchaser, from legal action by the LBC. It does not cover rectifying faults. You have to ask why a tradesperson would carry out such work, without complying with the law?

If your business is in domestic work, why would you not provide your customer with a complete package, instead them having sort out the matter with their LBC?

in an ideal world, a qualified spark should be able to install, certify, and notify (where applicable) works to LABC direct. the problem is that LABC can't be arsed with the extra paperwork and that's how it came about that we had to join a scam. thus adding more financial burden to us poor sparks. added on to the cost of new regs/amendments every time the IET needs it's pension fund topping up, and it's no wonder that joe public use non-registered/no cert. cowboys when they can get the job done for half the cost. part pee was meant to improve standards, but due to the enormous costs of complying, it's brought standards down to a lower level. it's on a par with prohibition in the USA in the '20's, making booze illegal just fuelled the gangster culture and led to more crime than the country had ever seen before.

in an ideal world, a qualified spark should be able to install, certify, and notify (where applicable) works to LABC direct. the problem is that LABC can't be arsed with the extra paperwork and that's how it came about that we had to join a scam. thus adding more financial burden to us poor sparks. added on to the cost of new regs/amendments every time the IET needs it's pension fund topping up, and it's no wonder that joe public use non-registered/no cert. cowboys when they can get the job done for half the cost. part pee was meant to improve standards, but due to the enormous costs of complying, it's brought standards down to a lower level. it's on a par with prohibition in the USA in the '20's, making booze illegal just fuelled the gangster culture and led to more crime than the country had ever seen before.
There lies the rub though, who says someone is qualified? In the short period I done domestic work, I was never asked to show any qualifications or accreditation when quoting for work, as was I never asked if I was a member of a Scheme. I don’t think most people really care, until it goes wrong. All they seem to care about, is how much will it cost.

I was also quite studious in providing my clients with appropriate certification, and the importance of retaining them for future reference. But as in my #11, some people don’t seem to worry about that, until it bites them in the arse.

what i can't understand is this> i am not in any scheme. i can wire a new build, a new extension, provide a copy of EIC to BC and it's fine. however, if i want to add a new circuit or fit a CU or shower. I'm assumed to be a DIYer by BC. as in these cases, they will only accept notification from a cps member.

what i can't understand is this> i am not in any scheme. i can wire a new build, a new extension, provide a copy of EIC to BC and it's fine. however, if i want to add a new circuit or fit a CU or shower. I'm assumed to be a DIYer by BC. as in these cases, they will only accept notification from a cps member.
I agree... but it's even more crazy with Gas... you could be the bloke that designed the boiler... but unless you've paid your £500 fee to Gas Safe, it's illegal for you to touch it !

It makes no sense. But until a better system is devised, then that’s all the domestic customers can rely on, albeit they don’t really care.

Reply to Signing off work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock