Discuss Single brick wall insulation options in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
We have a small toilet downstairs that had signs of mould. I've decided to pull the plaster off. I'm glad I did because it was slightly damp in places. I think this is mainly because 1. It's a single brick room and 2. They just nailed the plasterboard to the brick leaving a gap of round 10 mm throughout.

Anyway, what's the best options for boarding again in the intention to tile the whole room.

I'm looking at something with a good insulation and moisture barrier qualities.

Also it can't be too thick because it's a small room and the thickness of the board plus the tiles will eat into the room very quickly.

(Ignore the mess :p)

Pics below

Single brick wall insulation options IMG_20180129_223540_1 - EletriciansForums.net

Single brick wall insulation options IMG_20180129_223533 - EletriciansForums.net

Single brick wall insulation options IMG_20180129_223526 - EletriciansForums.net

How old is the house and what is on the outside of that wall as that brickwork window side is sh!te and a abortion it looks like it could be a dodgy lean to as well, need more information as you need to rectify any issues first and not just mask the problem and as you mentioned single brick thats not to adhering to building regs.

And put the seat down if you’re going to show the forum your ‘secret place’ - really!

Totally understand the concern. Yes you're right the brick work is a shocker. I'm going fo sort that.

So basically, the window opens out to our driveway, so front of the house (north facing)

Right hand side wall is the back wall of our kitchen. The back wall with the toilet is the side wall of the house.

These pics may help

What's top hating?

Sounds like these options are just eat into the already small room
MF5 Furring Bar 3600mm - http://m.builderdepot.co.uk/mf5-furring-bar-3600mm.html

If you are worried about space then the only practical solution would be to use external wall insulation and have it rendered or monocouched . If you want to insulate internally then you will have to compromise as it will have to be battened off or insulated plaster board which will come off the wall by a couple of inches.

Was that extension legal?

The only way I can see apart from knocking it down it to sort the joints out in the brick work and line with a polystyrene backed plasterboard, how long are you planning on living there?

Right,that is a bus ride from regs,and the brickwork is poor.
I would check that the kitchen extension wall,that abuts this,is not of the same construction,as the damp will track to the partition wall (toilet is against this) and this is your utility wall,also internal.

Have these single skins even got a DPC? Have you just bought the property?

Attempting to remedy this issue,purely with a "chemical" solution,will not have longevity.

Unfortunately,whenever one finds,gross divergence,from standard good construction methods,such as this,there will inevitably be other short-cuts. It could be the floor construction,fire regs,drainage,etc,but i strongly advise getting it inspected,by a clued up builder.

It could be worse...like a £60,000 loft conversion,only fit for use or sale,as "extra storage" :(

We've been here for 7 years and only just got round to sorting the toilet. There was only slight signs of mould in the bottom corner which is obviously being caused by condensation build up. All the houses down this road are the same design. The toilet is basically a concerted coal storage which everybody has converted into a toilet.

I agree the brickwork is a dog's dinner which I will repoint before I do anything else.

We plan on staying here long term as we are happy. This is the only room we have never touched so it was desperate to be done.

The entire house has had a DPC injection into the bricks. I personally don't think there is anything else sinister going on, it just doesn't look good visually. The adjacent kitchen walls shows no signs of damp

Great to see vde pliers in the little room :)
I vote for @davesparks post #11 method. Check roof, guttering and down pipes are getting water away properly. Check for internal condensation from being a cold place (heating?).

We've been here for 7 years and only just got round to sorting the toilet. There was only slight signs of mould in the bottom corner which is obviously being caused by condensation build up. All the houses down this road are the same design. The toilet is basically a concerted coal storage which everybody has converted into a toilet.

I agree the brickwork is a dog's dinner which I will repoint before I do anything else.

We plan on staying here long term as we are happy. This is the only room we have never touched so it was desperate to be done.

The entire house has had a DPC injection into the bricks. I personally don't think there is anything else sinister going on, it just doesn't look good visually. The adjacent kitchen walls shows no signs of damp
Ahhh okay getting there slowly so its an older house pre 20's by any chance?

Damp is caused by lack of ventilation and cold meeting warm air, does the window get wet as you could insulate the wall with Celotex/Insulated plasterboard but you will lose maybe 50 to 70mm, maybe instal a small heated towel rail to keep the ambient temp up or at least a heated toilet seat as there is nothing worse then having the urge for a number 2 when the temp of the toilet is -5 ;o))))))

Damp is caused by lack of ventilation and cold meeting warm air, does the window get wet as you could insulate the wall with Celotex/Insulated plasterboard but you will lose maybe 50 to 70mm, maybe instal a small heated towel rail to keep the ambient temp up or at least a heated toilet seat as there is nothing worse then having the urge for a number 2 when the temp of the toilet is -5 ;o))))))
you send 'er indoors first. a warm seat is compensation for the pong.

Already got a heated towel radiator. Was debating electric heated floor so didn't have to have the house heating on to warm the area up.

It's a 1930's house. 35 I think to be precise.

Think I will sort the wall out. Treat it with a waterproofing treatment then use a board with moisture barrier. Was going to tile on top of that but that will take up more room.

Tbh the old toilet plaster had been on nearly 10 years and only recently started showing signs of damp. I don't think it's really bad but it's obviously present

Reply to Single brick wall insulation options in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock