Discuss Single Circuit testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

Question from an slight outsider, apologies if this isn't in the right section. Can a single circuit be tested and certified? The circuit is permanent and unaltered (for decades probably).

I am the electrical manager at a retail Christmas decoration designer/maker/installer and have many projects in city streets. Usually the Land owners have their circuits tested as per the regs etc but every now and then we get a client that wishes not to take responsibility. I am only interested in two external outlets attached to two different buildings on this occasion. Can i ask a contractor to test just these points, would it have to be the entire circuit in each location plus the board characteristics, or does the entire installation need to be satisfactory?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Tom

Hi Pete,

In this case yes, both are 13A Weatherseal double sockets, one located above a shopfront and the other under a theatre-like canopy. Mostly though they are 15A round-pin Lewden outlets, sometimes we're treated to a 16A commando.

Hi Pete,

In this case yes, both are 13A Weatherseal double sockets, one located above a shopfront and the other under a theatre-like canopy. Mostly though they are 15A round-pin Lewden outlets, sometimes we're treated to a 16A commando.

It would be a good idea to prove that the outlet you intend to use is electrically sound, you or the Electrician you are using should test the circuit to prove suitability, the outlet could be on it's own circuit or part of a circuit (Ring Final Circuit/Radial Final circuit) both of these circuits will have other outlets on them, testing will prove either way.

Thanks for your reply Pete, that's the plan yes. We're going to test if it's fit for use. Do you think a minor works certificate can be issued if there has been no alteration? Just so we have official documentation of its soundness.

A minor works is ONLY used to test and records CHANGES to an existing circuit.

An EICR is used to record the test results of circuit(s) that are existing.

Simples.

Thanks for your reply Pete, that's the plan yes. We're going to test if it's fit for use. Do you think a minor works certificate can be issued if there has been no alteration? Just so we have official documentation of its soundness.

A MNWC is for alterations/additions to an already existing circuit, all you are doing is plugging something into a socket, so no a MNWC is the wrong option, an EICR for that particular circuit is what you need IMO, also as you are plugging temporary Christmas Decorations, these light ought to be tested to ISITEE standards, the old name for PA testing

Personally I would be designing my own certificate based on the EICR to fulfil the requirements of this particular job.

The model forms in bs7671 are just that, models which are a one size fits all kind of solution and if you actually read them you will find that most of the model form is filled with things which are 'examples of items which may require inspection' For a specific job it is perfectly acceptable, and sensible, to create your own forms which record the required information.

Personally I have designed my own forms for work which has a crossover between bs7617 and bs7909

The bottom line is that you need to make a record of having proved that the installation is safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is this not just a case of testing and certificating what you are asked to do?
i may be missing something, I usually do, but if someone asks me to test and give the results of a certain amount of circuits then that is what I do and give the results of what I have tested.
Obviously, if the supply board is poor that will be noted in the results?

You are right Wonderwall it is that straight forward.

Excellent, thanks Gents. This is merely so I have the correct paper trail to be available in the event of catastrophy (and also being in safe knowledge that it's fit for purpose), if I can have the contractor create a bespoke or limited certificate that covers only the parts of the installation that are in question and will be seen by officials as satisfactory then perfect.

Reply to Single Circuit testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock