Discuss Single or Three Phase Identification (Vehicle Lift Content) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Oslo1978

DIY
Reaction score
Good morning all, I’m afraid that I’ve come here looking for some advice with a problem I have with some vehicle lifts that I have been asked to dispose of. I have listed them for sale, but I am not sure how to determine whether they have single, or three phase motors. I am now aware that any potential buyer will need to know this information!

Is there a straightforward way to tell which the lifts are please?

Many thanks in advance.

Count the number of cores in the supply cable if it is still attached. Single phase will have 3 cores, (usually brown, blue, green/yellow) 3 phase will have 4 or 5 cores.

If you post pictures of the data plates on here we should be able to identify which is which easily enough.

Count the number of cores in the supply cable if it is still attached. Single phase will have 3 cores, (usually brown, blue, green/yellow) 3 phase will have 4 or 5 cores.

If you post pictures of the data plates on here we should be able to identify which is which easily enough.

Thank you, here are a couple of photos that I have of one of the lifts, I can look further when I’m there tomorrow.

Attachments

• 970666F6-34AC-45B6-9252-095018E6CBB5.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 51
  • 32B88140-9861-450F-A5AF-5CF7E3746EFD.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 18CE2327-C9F4-46AC-A268-EAD164F325F5.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 50
That looks like 3-phase.

It also looks a bit dodgy in terms of the supply wire, like it is 4-core used delta-connected but with the blue neutral being used as one phase. Also looks like no grommet on the cable entry hole.

I also wonder what pressing the top switch would do?

That looks like 3-phase.

It also looks a bit dodgy in terms of the supply wire, like it is 4-core used delta-connected but with the blue neutral being used as one phase. Also looks like no grommet on the cable entry hole.

I also wonder what pressing the top switch would do?

I was going to guess at single phase converted from what was originally a three phase system.

I'm seeing brown, black and blue (in addition to the green/yellow earth bond). I don't see a grey, so my guess is the 4-core wire was really intended for single phase permanent live + switched live sort of use and have been press-ganged in to the 3-phase supply job.

It looks like only 3 live terminals top-left are available, so my guess is it needs a 3-wire 3-phase supply.

Perhaps one contactor is for up and the other down and someone pushed it when the bottom contactor was in and it went bang
That could be the case!

Or maybe that is the "down" contactor and if pressed in the resting position it breaks things by driving past the lower limit switch stop in to the ground?

Or maybe that is the "down" contactor and if pressed in the resting position it breaks things by driving past the lower limit switch stop in to the ground?
It would certainly bypass any end stops, the same would go for 'up'.
No one should ever manually operate any relay or contactor unless they are 100% sure they know its function. 'Fault finding' by jabbing random contactors will soon lead to danger or equipment damage!

Very true. I just wondered why only one of them was so labelled?

Still, not a normal problem as no operator really should be poking fingers in there for any reason when energised.

i'd say it was meant for 3 phase 220 in delta or 380 in star.

i'd say it was meant for 3 phase 220 in delta or 380 in star.
Just to comment for the original poster: those were the European nominal voltages, and the UK was 240 / 415, then we agreed it would all be 230 / 400V.

But nothing changed, nobody altered supply voltages there and then. Just the operating voltage ranges were loosened so the minimum EU and maximum UK were within the new harmonised range.

Yes, 3-phase by the look of things. If you post more pics, it might be well to show the data plate on the motor itself, as well as any general plate, as the motor is likely to give more comprehensive information.

I'm seeing brown, black and blue (in addition to the green/yellow earth bond). I don't see a grey, so my guess is the 4-core wire was really intended for single phase permanent live + switched live sort of use and have been press-ganged in to the 3-phase supply job.

Cast your mind back to 2003... Before harmonised colours... EU 4-core flexible was often brown/black/blue/earth. There were alternatives e.g two browns and a black as used in some countries for installation cables. But brown/black/blue with blue as a line was the most common IIRC, also for continental installation cables like NYM-J. I find it hard to believe that we've been installing 'grey phase' for 15 years already.

If you want to know the motor details have a look at the motor itself...the detail plate.
It's a somewhat run down, three phase unit with reversing contactor with a control box somewhat thrown together.
Is the 'warning note' regarding physical operation of the contactor? Hope not, but looks like it.
It needs checking and testing properly, whatever.

edit. Beaten to it LN :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Reply to Single or Three Phase Identification (Vehicle Lift Content) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net