Discuss Smart meter push, again. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Today I got a note by postcard from SSE saying:

"We recently contacted you about your new smart meter, which can be delivered and installed for you from 10 May"

Now I am not aware of being contacted, certainly not by phone, so it seems a bit disingenuous to tell me this. Also I have a fairly new meter already as they replaced the old Ferranti mechanical meter in 2017.

Personally I don't want one. It offers me nothing much as my estimated usage is very close to the metered usage which I occasionally phone in to them. But I can see several disadvantages to them in terms of privacy and reliability, not to mention the remote disconnection feature that they promise would never be used.

TL;DR: Would folks here bother with this offer?

I get it all the time from EON , it is a pain in the backside the way they try to insinuate you have agreed to have one.

Today I got a note by postcard from SSE saying:

"We recently contacted you about your new smart meter, which can be delivered and installed for you from 10 May"

Now I am not aware of being contacted, certainly not by phone, so it seems a bit disingenuous to tell me this. Also I have a fairly new meter already as they replaced the old Ferranti mechanical meter in 2017.

Personally I don't want one. It offers me nothing much as my estimated usage is very close to the metered usage which I occasionally phone in to them. But I can see several disadvantages to them in terms of privacy and reliability, not to mention the remote disconnection feature that they promise would never be used.

TL;DR: Would folks here bother with this offer?
Smart meters are the spawn of Satan.

Funnily enough I got yet another email this morning about getting smart meters fitted, funnily enough I deleted yet another email about getting smart meters fitted.

Yes I too have recently had emails and letters from eon about getting a smart meter fitted even though I had one until 2018 when they swapped it for a standard meter because the smart one wouldn't work!

I would love to have a Smart meter, I would jump at the offer of having one fitted.

The only problem is that Smart meters don't exist at the moment, Gen 1 and Gen 2 are not Smart, they only respond to requests for usage readings, they aren't capable of making a decision like choosing the cheapest supplier for a moment in time.

If mobile phone companies tried to sell something called a Smart phone that had similar capabilites to the current Energy "Smart Meters" they'd have no buyers for them, apart from the ones that fell for the smooth talking salesperson.

A truely Smart meter should be able to switch suppliers, shed non essential load if the local network supply is heavilly loaded, energise load such as Battery storage and E.V's when local network load is light.

I believe Gen 3 Smart meters, already in planning, may have some of the above planned.
The smartest thing they've managed to do at the moment is to get Gen 1 meters which were originally tied to one supplier to be accessed by any supplier, subject to being registered with DECC /DCC or whoever it is that actually controls the access network to each meter.

Had several emails from Scottish Power insinuating that I must have a "smart" meter fitted.
As a (soon to be ex) customer, I found their emails very rude starting with "Hi (Surname)" and going on to say that they are obligated to fit smart meters. See line beside yellow dot on attachment .

I found a smaller supplier that doesn't require a smart meter to be fitted and am switching to them.
Smart meter push, again. 20210501_134656 - EletriciansForums.net

Smart meter push, again. Smart meters.PNG - EletriciansForums.net

Energy suppliers are obligated to install smart meters.

Customers are not obligated to have them fitted.

The current meter type will be obsolete, fortunately there are warehouses somewhere full of millions of previously used ones waiting to be refitted.

but we all got to become carbon neutral by 2040. . as we are led to believe, global warming is caused by emissions of CO2. herein lies the problem..... every time we exhale, we are releasing CO2 into the atmosphere. only way to stop this is by dying. don't worry me, as I'll not last that long, but the younger onres amonst us should beware. covid19 has had some impact, but only a drop in the ocean. 5G does not work...nobody has died from it. i await the next move by the powers that be. maybe it will be realised that photosynthesis removes Co2, so get out there and plant a tree or 3. ☹️

Another "Fluffy" Government Virtue signalling ---- up as usual. I refuse to read my meter for them .They have provided me with no training or PPE .I am not covered by their Insurance etc if I was to be hurt .They can read it themselves

If they really want to make the change, they could rally to get Legislation changed to force Installation on customers by virtue of Rights of Entry (Gas and Electricity Boards) Act 1954, Section 2 [See also Electricity Act 1989 Schedule 6], which while requiring a warrant to enter, would likely be granted. They may also invoke Schedule 7 which is related to meters.

Current industry position is that they won't force Installation if consent is not given bit don't be too surprised if that changes in the coming years, dependant on uptake.

Reply to Smart meter push, again. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock