Discuss Smart meters yes or no? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Are they not open to all suppliers??? How come???

Some of the early ones weren't suppliers had their own software.
But the "2nd Gen" being fitted now are, supposedly, as there's a common standard.

I know someone who changed suppliers while they were on an early Smart meter and the new supplier could remotely read the meter.
He changed again to SPARKS, a week last Friday, the same day Sparks ceased trading.
OVO have now taken over SPARKS accounts.

Are they not open to all suppliers??? How come???

Some of the early ones weren't.
But the "2nd Gen" being fitted now are, supposedly.

I know someone who changed suppliers while they were on an early Smart meter and the new supplier could remotely read the meter.
He changed to another supplier and they had to fit a 2nd Gen as they couldn't get access to the original.
He changed again to SPARKS, a week last Friday, the same day Sparks ceased trading.
OVO have now taken over SPARKS accounts.

I'm with the NO's! The few 'yeses' seem a bit naive to me ( or just not bothered ). Smart Meters are monitoring gone mad - why do the suppliers need that much information - unless variable tariffs are the hidden agenda, plus of course 'computerised automatic load shedding'. As plant margins on the grid get smaller (saving them money) power cuts get ever nearer. Power cuts shed governments, but I don't suppose they've cottoned on yet - it'll happen when they've retired - they think! The suppliers only need one reading a quarter for billing - so why one every quarter of an hour? - think on!
As for security, well, even the banks get hacked - so once your habits are hacked, it's a burglar's paradise!
Think I'll stick to the OWL !

I'm don't think I'm naïve and cant say I'm
not bothered ..
nobody has explained what a hacker could do to my smart meter? apart from stop it working …
go faster or slower ?
re burglars
they break into houses with people inside , albeit usually sleeping .I have a house alarm and cctv as well. so they are welcome to try and then the hell hound ,I have, can have a go as well :grinning:
they will no doubt move onto other houses nearby that don't have any security.

re monitoring they get what you consume in energy and maybe if someone is that interested in you, then they could see when.

a question for all you that fear smart meters. do you have a mobile phone .. that tracks and sends more info about you than any other device.
also the mic can be switched to live and your conversations can be heard. it gives your location away . need I go on?

don't fear the smart meter the mobile is your enemy lol

Reply to Smart meters yes or no? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net