Discuss Sockets additions Live in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cliffed

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just your thoughts on this one,had the plasterers moaning about live sockets.
Added a couple of sockets to an existing ring main,to keep the power on in the house I’ve connected & taped the cables & neatly coiled into the flush box.
The customer knows the reasoning behind this,& will talk to the plasterers,& advise them to switch the marked Mcb off.
The remarks from the plasterers were not too good,& you can imagine the stick & bad names floating around, pardon the pun there.
They done their bit,& no incidents of electric shock,but just bad mouthing.
Would you have done the same, or maybe I’m at fault.

When I've had to leave live cables in a flush mounting box, which will be plastered, I've fitted a metal cover plate that is cut slightly smaller than the box, so it recesses in as far as the lugs. So there is no access to the cables inside. The cover plate cut from thin sheet metal with tin-snips, and I retrieve them afterwards to reuse.

I always used to simply put connector block on the cables and coil up in the box , did it this way for years & years

then one day I had a plasterer have real moan saying on a different job he got a shock off a back box while plastering

so from that day I always put a blank plate on the box which had any live cables in

:eek:Always leave them live that way the muckspreaders pay a little more attention what they're doing with their towels.:eek:
[automerge]1596309465[/automerge]
:eek:Always leave them live that way the muckspreaders pay a little more attention what they're doing with their towels.:eek:
Trowels, flaming auto correct

I always used to simply put connector block on the cables and coil up in the box , did it this way for years & years

then one day I had a plasterer have real moan saying on a different job he got a shock off a back box while plastering

so from that day I always put a blank plate on the box which had any live cables in
i've always done that if the cables have needed to be energised to complete a circuit. some years ago, i fitted the sockets on 4 outlets with yoozy boxes. thinking easy for the plasterer and also safe. i turn up next day. all 4 socket faceplates covered in muck and all 4 yoozy boxes broken.

You need to ensure that there is no way that the plasterer, or anyone else can be put at risk.

There is no perfect solution to this problem, other than leaving the circuit isolated which is sometimes not possible in the real world.

As far as health and safety is concerned, all you can do is isolate.

your leaving live cables with only basic insulation. Even behind a bit of cardboard or plastic... plasterer is throwing water all over the place and using a sharp metal object. If they’ve had an incident before, I’m not surprised they complain.

I dont think i can ever recall expecting a plasterer to work on a live socket regardless of any tape, bags or anything else. I would expect to isolate, prior, keeping disruption to a minimum by supplying temp power from other sources.
The house i am currently working on , I isolated the section of the ring to keep some power on for his mixer etc. There are nearly always a work around, more puzzled about how its common to leave the power on. What possible scenario would that be ? The only socket in the place ? ...lol

Just isolate the ring and provide them with a builders supply on a trailing socket. Simples!!

When I've had to leave live cables in a flush mounting box, which will be plastered, I've fitted a metal cover plate that is cut slightly smaller than the box, so it recesses in as far as the lugs. So there is no access to the cables inside. The cover plate cut from thin sheet metal with tin-snips, and I retrieve them afterwards to reuse.
Circuit feeding sockets should be isolated and locked off until plasterers are finished.

Circuit feeding sockets should be isolated and locked off until plasterers are finished.
In the example I gave, they were not sockets, but light switches, which would be very inconvenient in an occupied property where the other lights on the circuit need to remain in use. It would be a week or two before the plastering is done.

I would also add that I include a large label in the outside of the metal cover that the circuit inside is live.

Of course those stating the circuit should isolated & locked off are correct. But that's not easily achieved in some if not most domestic properties. I've read many times of members criticising other members for not leaving householders with power, some houses have only one RF.

Suppose the only correct way, would be to return to site just before the plasters start, and isolate, but then you might have to keep returning when they want to mix up some more muck!

I've used Yoozybox & blank plate like @telectrix before now, but either found them smashed, or the plasterer bumping his gums, that they got in the way.

What about Blank it?

On some rare occasions, I have left people with an energised circuit that fall short short of the standards required. This is normally due to an out of hours call out where the correct part is not available. I am not daft and understand that at times we do not rigidly follow all the rules at all times.

However, putting the plasterers life at risk by leaving poorly protected cables live and within an inch of his wet steel trowel is a step beyond where I would be comfortable.

This is planned work, so make a plan.
Look for other options
Lighting circuits, can they be isolated at the rose for the room in question, if not maybe in the adjacent room.

Worst case, some temporary lead lights for the areas that need to be lit.

If someone is seriously injured or worse due to your failure to isolate or protect cables then the court is not going to accept that you left stuff on so the tv could be left plugged in to its original socket.

For ring circuits you can change the OCPD to a 20A device and disconnect whichever section of the ring is necessary. The rest of the circuit will remain live as two radials.

Agreed,
Like I say, planned work.
MAKE A PLAN
There are many scenarios that you might come across
It may at times be more work or a little inconvenient,

but gone are the days when you could get away with taping up cables and putting a warning live cables note on them (if it was ever trueley acceptable)

With some thought, it is not required to leave hidden dangers around site, we can use our brain to come up with a safe solution.

Reply to Sockets additions Live in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock