Discuss Sockets for a summer house in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My mate has built a summer house on to the side of his house. He wants to
install two double sockets and a light.
can we spur off the ring main( which is rcd. protected), with a 30 amp junction Box to a
un switched fuse spur then two double sockets.
am I right that if he wants to use a electric heater in the summer house he would
have to extend the ring main.

No
If you’re coming off the ring as a fused spur, you can plug in what you like up to the 13A limit of the fuse.
(Rough guide, 1kW is 4A)

ideally, you could extend the ring, but not a necessity.

Reactions: DPG
i was trying to find the the regulations for extending the ring main , on one
web site it said you are not allowed to use junction boxes to this
is that right.

Junction box is fine, but it may need to be maintenance free if it’s concealed afterwards.
can’t you come off the back of an existing socket and put the fused spur beside it?

The junction box would be under the floor boards on the
bedroom landing , where all the cables are run.
so That would be classed as concealed?

I

i was trying to find the the regulations for extending the ring main , on one
web site it said you are not allowed to use junction boxes to this
is that right.

Do you not have a copy of the current wiring regs? Who is testing and certifying this work once it is completed?

No we don’t have a copy of the latest regs, my mate just wants to
run All the cables to new Sockets, and then get a electrician to connect
it up and test it

No we don’t have a copy of the latest regs, my mate just wants to
run All the cables to new Sockets, and then get a electrician to connect
it up and test it
heard that before!!!
This work is notifiable to building control.
give them a quick call and they will point you in the right direction.

Reply to Sockets for a summer house in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net