Discuss Sockets with IP54 degree of protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Petr

-
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I would like to buy a red socket to panel and cable compatible with UK plugs. We are now using schuko sockets for German plugs (1589200 | Type F - German Schuko Extension Leads, 16A, 250 V | ABL Sursum - http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/trailing-sockets-power-distribution/8245608/ and 11013 | Mennekes Europe Mains Connector Type F - German Schuko, 16A, Panel Mount, 230 V | Mennekes - http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mains-plus-sockets/3589152/), but we need Britain sockets now.
Is it possible to buy a red IP54 panel socket and a black IP54 cable socket compatible with your plugs?

Sorry for my terrible English.
Thank you, Petr

Teletrix: thank you for your reply. I think now I understand more to your power sockets.

You have power tools connected to 240V through BS 1363 socket (which is mostly black or white, can be blue, can't be red as my boss wanted)
You have power tools connected to 240V through a blue 16 A P+N+E 230 V socket (like you posted)
You have power tools connected to 110V through a Yellow 2P+E socket
You have power tools connected to 3 phase (240/415V) through a red 3P+N+E socket

Am I right?

What is the most common socket/plug for power tools like electrical drill and angle grinder?

Thanks, Petr

In the UK it depends on the location and intended use of the socket which type is employed.
BS1363 sockets are the most common for general use and in low risk e.g. office environments.
EN60309 sockets are used where there there are more arduous environments, commercial industrial factories and warehouses.
110V EN60309 sockets are used in high risk environments where the risk of electric shock is increased such as building sites.
In terms of socket colours the general approach is that yellow is 110V, blue 230V and red 400V.

Therefore to get a red 230V BS1363 socket would be counter intuitive as it can only be 230V but coloured for 400V.
The closest I would suggest is to have a weatherproof BS1363 socket and fit a red cover box over it.
Clipsal make 230V IP rated panel mount sockets (in grey) and Lewden make weathertight screw together BS1363 plug and sockets, again in grey.
However it is possible to buy red BS1363 standard plugs if that were any help.

the BS1363 socket is specific to the 3 pin socket used in domestic and office situations.

14790_P

Reply to Sockets with IP54 degree of protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net