Discuss Solar iboost varying electric usage in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Phil284

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all.

Bit of a weird one. Have solar PV with a iboost +. All was working fine until meter was exchanged for a smart meter.

The system is still working, the solar iboost buddy is registering power usage and excess has been sent to the hot tank, but, the amount of power registered is not always correct. In some scenarios it's quite a way out. The problem with this is it won't be sending the correct amount of power to the tank.

I have a Solaredge inverter so I can see in the app what the panels are doing, how much electric is imported and the difference between the two. When comparing this data, it doesn't match.

Tried a kettle test, and at one point the kettle only used 900w according to the buddy, with the Solaredge app showing a more accurate 2.5kWh.

I know the iboost clamp is on the right cable, as it is registering power. The clamp is correctly around the cable and latched. The bits inside are correctly seated and undamaged.

Could interference from the smart meter aerial be causing this? Or something else? All was done without sun so as to measure the buddy readings accurately

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phil

Last edited:
Hi Phil,
New here, very interested in iboost/smartmeter compatibility issues.
Can I ask what meter you had installed before, was it really old like rotating disk or more modern (electronic with flashing led) but just not smart ?

Regards
Roger

PS I think I Pmd you the same question as I only just found this reply box some way down the page.

Can you post some pictures showing where this clamp is fitted and zoomed out so we can see the whole area?

Hi Phil,
New here, very interested in iboost/smartmeter compatibility issues.
Can I ask what meter you had installed before, was it really old like rotating disk or more modern (electronic with flashing led) but just not smart ?

Regards
Roger

PS I think I Pmd you the same question as I only just found this reply box some way down the page.

Hi all.

Bit of a weird one. Have solar PV with a iboost +. All was working fine until meter was exchanged for a smart meter.

The system is still working, the solar iboost buddy is registering power usage and excess has been sent to the hot tank, but, the amount of power registered is not always correct. In some scenarios it's quite a way out. The problem with this is it won't be sending the correct amount of power to the tank.

I have a Solaredge inverter so I can see in the app what the panels are doing, how much electric is imported and the difference between the two. When comparing this data, it doesn't match.

Tried a kettle test, and at one point the kettle only used 900w according to the buddy, with the Solaredge app showing a more accurate 2.5kWh.

I know the iboost clamp is on the right cable, as it is registering power. The clamp is correctly around the cable and latched. The bits inside are correctly seated and undamaged.

Could interference from the smart meter aerial be causing this? Or something else? All was done without sun so as to measure the buddy readings accurately

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Phil
Hi Phil i have a similar issue to this, meter also change in Nov 21, blue not flashing but showing heating by solar, did you get your issue resolve?

Reply to Solar iboost varying electric usage in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net