Discuss solar/mains switch on 13a socket in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

alfier

-
Reaction score
I have some solar panels producing up to 10 KW and I wish to switch a 13 amp socket on when solar is being generated and off when solar stops and sockets return to mains. Any idea of a switch that will do this?

If it’s all set up correctly, all your sockets, lights etc will use the solar power if there is any. The excess being fed into grid.
Only when the sun goes down will you use mains electric.

If the solar generation also feeds the rest of your sockets rather than just this one special socket, then one option might be to use an automation tool such as Home Assistant along with a smart socket and appropriate monitoring tools for your solar system. Then you'd be able to define an automation based on the amount of solar generation and turn the socket on or off as you wanted. One thing to consider would be whether you'd want to switch it instantly off if generation dropped vs a delayed reaction as generation can change dramatically when clouds blow over etc.

The likes of Solarimmersion and 'Solar iBoost+' devices do this for immersion heaters for those on generation-based tariffs (where you are paid for power even if you use it yourself, not feed-in tariffs where you are paid for what you contribute to the grid), but they are power-controlling AFIK so not simply turning an outlet on/off.

If the solar generation also feeds the rest of your sockets rather than just this one special socket, then one option might be to use an automation tool such as Home Assistant along with a smart socket and appropriate monitoring tools for your solar system. Then you'd be able to define an automation based on the amount of solar generation and turn the socket on or off as you wanted. One thing to consider would be whether you'd want to switch it instantly off if generation dropped vs a delayed reaction as generation can change dramatically when clouds blow over etc.
thank you, sorry for the delay but I was in hospital.Now I just need to read up on the above as at 84 a bit slow now

Reply to solar/mains switch on 13a socket in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock