Discuss Solar Power Requirement in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

afarr86

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a new wooden shed with dimensions 4.5 meters x 1.8 meters. I would like to have lights and a heater in it to keep decent temperature during winter and work in it - and maybe a small TV ;). I have researched some information and looking at a solar panel, leisure battery setup. I can get 12v light set similar to what you put in a campervan with 20 light modules that run at 1 watt per module. A decent heater will need to be 240v and considered a dimplex 4ft tubular heater which is 160 watt

My questions are,

1. Will this heater be enough to keep a reasonable heat within during winter?
2. What wattage solar panel will I require?
3. What size of leisure battery\amp hours will I require?

I am aware I will need an inverter too

Thanks

if the shed is insulated, i would expect you to manage on 1 to 2kw of heating whilst you are in there and about double that to warm it up from cold for an hour.

honestly you have no chance of heating it using solar power. lighting will be ok and a leisure battery and solar cells should suffice. you probably want about 300w of solar cells and a decent battery, in the 80Ah range.

If heating is a must have, expect to require something like this to give enough heat to warm it up within an hour of you getting inside durin the winter.

if the shed is insulated, i would expect you to manage on 1 to 2kw of heating whilst you are in there and about double that to warm it up from cold for an hour.

honestly you have no chance of heating it using solar power. lighting will be ok and a leisure battery and solar cells should suffice. you probably want about 300w of solar cells and a decent battery, in the 80Ah range.

If heating is a must have, expect to require something like this to give enough heat to warm it up within an hour of you getting inside durin the winter.
Hmmm!!! Okay Cheers. Maybe a cable from house at shed roof height with conduit support would be better - it is only about 1 meter. Then I can maybe have a small 2ft tubular heater with thermostat keeping the chill off the shed

On a cold day, use a good quality fully unwound extension lead.
try a 2kw fan heater preferably one that has 2 heat settings.

I expect for the first hour you will need it on full power to warm the room.
from there you may be able to turn it down or the 1kw setting and it may stay warm enough.

that will give you a good idea of the heat required to warm the building
i fear that a 2ft tube heater is only good for frost protection

James's advice is good. An outdoor building of that size needs much more than a 160 watt heater or a tube style heater.

My summer house is smaller than that and in winter I use a 2kw fan heater for half an hour before I go in it, and it is left on the 1kw setting when I am actually in it (the thermostat does kick in/out though)

I did try an 800W panel initially (no fan) but it was nowhere near up to the job.

Thanks all. So basically, a solar setup for a 240v heater (minimum 2kw) is not an option

Reply to Solar Power Requirement in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock