Discuss Some times I really feel sorry for some clients in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Socket is surface mounted in conduit, move it a foot and a half to the left? Also, they had the dosh for the cooker? This may be out of order, but I know Surrey pretty well, (now happily back in Geordieland), and it's pretty affluent, suprised no ones mentioned it, but are they preying on your goodwill? Love seniors as much as anyone, my parents are, and one day I will be. Doesn't stop them being devious.

a few years ago, i had a job on for an elderly couple. replace old rewireable DB. was to 16th, split load board. sockets , shower, cooker on RCD and lights non-RCD. they were pleading poverty, so i did the job for £195, including fitting bonding to gas and water. replaced 3 dodgy sockets and 2 light switches. all tested and certed. the old bugger then asked if there was a discount for cash, so i said, OK , £20 off. £175. he then went into the bedroom and came out with a roll, must have been 3 grand, and counted off £180, then held out his hand for the fiver change.

Put a plug top on the cooker.

Job done?

You are not there to do a EICR you are there to put a plug top on.

Advise about crap location of socket and explain why its dangerous.

Bottom line..... Never believe a word anyone says where money is concerned. Maybe they are poor and maybe they aren't. One thing is certain tho.... you will never know.

Makes you wonder why the ignition system needs a mains connection, it ain't that hard to generate a spark from a battery source! Lazy manufactuers.

All about safety, the oven will be auto ignite, if the oven is on and opening and closing of the door had caused the flame to go out, it would auto ignite, a flat battery would not do that, if the power had gone down the safety gas shut off valve will operate as it can not re-ignite.

However, what would we all have done if this situation was in our own home?
Me, I'd just fit the plug, plug it in and get on with it, oh hang on, thats how my setup has been for the last 10 years except my socket outlet was just above the top of the opened glass cover. Never had a problem.
Its only that I have fitted an extractor, it has all moved.
Oh no, I did not notify it, I must be a bad man that should be shot down, reported or imprisoned.

All about safety, the oven will be auto ignite, if the oven is on and opening and closing of the door had caused the flame to go out, it would auto ignite, a flat battery would not do that, if the power had gone down the safety gas shut off valve will operate as it can not re-ignite.

However, what would we all have done if this situation was in our own home?
Me, I'd just fit the plug, plug it in and get on with it, oh hang on, thats how my setup has been for the last 10 years except my socket outlet was just above the top of the opened glass cover. Never had a problem.
Its only that I have fitted an extractor, it has all moved.
Oh no, I did not notify it, I must be a bad man that should be shot down, reported or imprisoned.

be careful..... guitar strings make good garottes. LOL.

Definitely a hot potato this scenario for sure:

1) Insist bonding is done at extra cost (as supply is otherside of the house it wont be cheap so hard to FoC) if they dont you walk away knowing some nugget is going to walk in and do it anyway (socket move could end up rouched in)

2) relocate socket but make customer aware Bonding needs upgradeing for safety and leave paperwork stateing bonding install was refused (preferrabley 2 signed copies by customer and yourself).

3) the ideal situation that socket is relocated and customer agree's to required bonding also being installed and pays up.

Personaly i'd be comfortable with option 2&3......option 1 would be the one giving some sleepness nights as giving 'Dave down the pub' the chance to have a play could likely add to the problem..........Having signed paperwork to cover your rear with option 2 (the less desireable) should satisfy any comeback (lets be honest here all this paperwork is only really an exercise in being able to legally pass the book and give the system someone to blame if it hits the fan).

Then if the battery is flat there will be no flame, so the gas shutoff valve would operate the same way a boiler would work. Auto ignition is not a safety feature IMO. Power cut, shut off valve doesn't operate and gas continues to escape, power restored 3 mins later and boom!

the flex looks discoloured and old- the cooker is old
there was a plug fitted to the flex at one time , someones removed it (as seen in post 48)

Whether the cooker Is battery fed or mains fed ignition an issue, gas valve opens by turning the buttons then the flame failure device takes over and holds the gas valve open, like the pilot light on old fires, hence if there is a power cut or gas disruption the gas valve will shut, if the device has flame failure devices fitted most new cookers do

Reply to Some times I really feel sorry for some clients in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock