Discuss Someone Help me with speaker wiring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have 2 Aiwa speakers of 6 ohms each.. and 3 LG speakers of 3 ohms each.. how to connect to amplifier correctly? I have attached amplifier pic below.. please help me...Someone Help me with speaker wiring? dpa-370-ahuja-original-imaeayyx8jknupkn - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm..... that's messy.

In mono, you'd probably end up with something like (1 x Aiwa 6Ω in parallel with a 3Ω) in series with an identical pair, going COM and 4Ω and then forgetting about the 5th speaker, but it'll sound awful probably.

Hmmm..... that's messy.

In mono, you'd probably end up with something like (1 x Aiwa 6Ω in parallel with a 3Ω) in series with an identical pair, going COM and 4Ω and then forgetting about the 5th speaker, but it'll sound awful probably.
1. Can I connect in series 3Ω + 3Ω + 3Ω = 9Ω into COM and 8Ω ?
2. Can I connect one in Parallel 6Ω into COM and 8Ω ?
3. Can I connect in Parallel 3Ω - 3Ω - 3Ω = 4.5Ω into COM and 4Ω?

1. Can I connect in series 3Ω + 3Ω + 3Ω = 9Ω into COM and 8Ω ?
2. Can I connect one in Parallel 6Ω into COM and 8Ω ?
3. Can I connect in Parallel 3Ω - 3Ω - 3Ω = 4.5Ω into COM and 4Ω?
Yes to suggestions 1 and 2. With both connected you will probably get less sound out of each of the three speakers than you will out of the single one, but try it anyway!

If you do 3. that parallel combination amounts to a 1Ω load across the 4Ω output, which is not such a good idea!

It's only a 30W amplifier! Overall performance is going to be somewhat limited.

Connecting different kinds of speakers in series can produce strange frequency responses as their impedances are not constant over the audio band. E.g. a 6Ω speaker isn't really 6Ω, that's just an average for the purpose of amplifier matching. Its impedance might vary from 4 to 20Ω at different frequencies, but it won't vary in the same way as a different model. Therefore it's always best to connect different speakers in parallel across the amplifier output which has a low impedance.

My suggestion would be:
3 x 3Ω in series to make 9Ω
2 x 6Ω in series to make 12Ω
Connect those two strings in parallel to make 5.1Ω
Connect to 4Ω output.

The power delivered to each 3Ω speaker will be 3/4 of the power delivered to each 6Ω speaker which is 1.2dB difference and not very important. Their efficiencies and power ratings are likely to be much more different than this.

Not quite all of the amplifier power will be available into the 5.1Ω load but it will not be damaged or overloaded. The stated load impedances on the outputs are optimums, any variation higher or lower will decrease the available power but too much lower can damage the amplifier.

Don't forget that putting an 8Ω load on the 8Ω output and a 4Ω load on the 4Ω output at the same time will overload the amplifier. You could connect 16Ω load to the 8Ω output and 8Ω load to the 4Ω output simultaneously and get full power correctly matched.

PA amplifiers like this use an output transformer, which is how they are able to accommodate a range of different load impedances and drive 100V line from a 12V battery. The 16Ω output winding is tapped at 50% and 71% to give the 4Ω and 8Ω taps. The transformer is also the reason they have poor low-frequency response (this one only goes down to 100Hz, to save size, weight and cost) and high distortion.

It's only a 30W amplifier! Overall performance is going to be somewhat limited.

Connecting different kinds of speakers in series can produce strange frequency responses as their impedances are not constant over the audio band. E.g. a 6Ω speaker isn't really 6Ω, that's just an average for the purpose of amplifier matching. Its impedance might vary from 4 to 20Ω at different frequencies, but it won't vary in the same way as a different model. Therefore it's always best to connect different speakers in parallel across the amplifier output which has a low impedance.

My suggestion would be:
3 x 3Ω in series to make 9Ω
2 x 6Ω in series to make 12Ω
Connect those two strings in parallel to make 5.1Ω
Connect to 4Ω output.

The power delivered to each 3Ω speaker will be 3/4 of the power delivered to each 6Ω speaker which is 1.2dB difference and not very important. Their efficiencies and power ratings are likely to be much more different than this.

Not quite all of the amplifier power will be available into the 5.1Ω load but it will not be damaged or overloaded. The stated load impedances on the outputs are optimums, any variation higher or lower will decrease the available power but too much lower can damage the amplifier.

Don't forget that putting an 8Ω load on the 8Ω output and a 4Ω load on the 4Ω output at the same time will overload the amplifier. You could connect 16Ω load to the 8Ω output and 8Ω load to the 4Ω output simultaneously and get full power correctly matched.

PA amplifiers like this use an output transformer, which is how they are able to accommodate a range of different load impedances and drive 100V line from a 12V battery. The 16Ω output winding is tapped at 50% and 71% to give the 4Ω and 8Ω taps. The transformer is also the reason they have poor low-frequency response (this one only goes down to 100Hz, to save size, weight and cost) and high distortion.
Thank you for your valuable answer.. please last one..

3 x 3Ω in series to make 9Ω into which slot of COM to 4Ω or 8Ω or 16Ω ? (This positive strings to 4Ω and Negative into COM right?)

2 x 6Ω in series to make 12Ω into which slot of COM to 4Ω or 8Ω or 16Ω ? (This positive strings to 4Ω and Negative into COM right?)

Last Two strings in Parallel right?

Last edited:

if he's listening to radio1 or any chart "music", it will sound awful anyway.

if he's listening to radio1 or any chart "music", it will sound awful anyway.

Let's face, we're talking a very low budget PA amp here. Sound quality is going to be poor and, as Lucien says, the frequency response will be limited.

Saying that, if the speakers are reasonably efficient (which is more important than wattage) then it may do a reasonable job. I'd go with the 5 ohm configuration personally.

I have purchased Sony XS NW1202S Subwoofer 420W RMS.. (i know this is for car.. but I want at home) Which W rated amplifier is good for this?.. can I connect my old ahuja 30W amplifier?

Attachments

• Someone Help me with speaker wiring? xs-nw1202s-sony-original-imaenmsrqef5wdhd - EletriciansForums.net
    xs-nw1202s-sony-original-imaenmsrqef5wdhd.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 3
I have purchased Sony XS NW1202S Subwoofer 420W RMS.. (i know this is for car.. but I want at home) Which W rated amplifier is good for this?.. can I connect my old ahuja 30W amplifier?

I would say a more powerful amplifier would be preferable, but the main thing is to not run it at a level where distortion can be heard. Give your existing 30W amplifier a try and see if it suits your needs.

It's easier to damage a speaker with a low powered amplifier that is clipping (ie driving DC into the speaker) than it is with a power amplifier which is rated higher than the speaker it is driving.

To be honest the wattage values of speakers and amplifiers can be very misleading. The sensitivity figure of a speaker is just as important as its wattage. Some people think that the wattage figure tells you how loud a speaker will go - it doesn't, it tells you how much power it can withstand.

But remember, distortion is your enemy.

I would say a more powerful amplifier would be preferable, but the main thing is to not run it at a level where distortion can be heard. Give your existing 30W amplifier a try and see if it suits your needs.

It's easier to damage a speaker with a low powered amplifier that is clipping (ie driving DC into the speaker) than it is with a power amplifier which is rated higher than the speaker it is driving.

To be honest the wattage values of speakers and amplifiers can be very misleading. The sensitivity figure of a speaker is just as important as its wattage. Some people think that the wattage figure tells you how loud a speaker will go - it doesn't, it tells you how much power it can withstand.

But remember, distortion is your enemy.
More powerful amplifier means how much power is required?

How much watt rated amplifier is good for this

Depends on various factors, eg:
1. How accurate the wattage is specified (some figures are very optimistic)
2. How loud you want to go
3. How efficient your speaker is

Very difficult to say. I'd wire your existing amp up temporarily and see how you go. But probably aim to go for something more powerful (100W RMS or higher)

Depends on various factors, eg:
1. How accurate the wattage is specified (some figures are very optimistic)
2. How loud you want to go
3. How efficient your speaker is

Very difficult to say. I'd wire your existing amp up temporarily and see how you go. But probably aim to go for something more powerful (100W RMS or higher)
2. Very loud (but that's not possible I think)

I will try with my existing amp ( how to wire? COM & 4Ω right? ( by the way speaker impendence is 4Ω)

Next time I will purchase more power amp..

Reply to Someone Help me with speaker wiring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock