Discuss Sorry to mention stables again but... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Percyprod

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Some of you may remember a discussion I had on this forum some time ago regarding my wiring of a stable. The general opinion was that they would burn down, soon after the horses and anyone within a 10 mile radius was electrocuted. Now so far none of this has happened. Now my point was that as the part p didn't apply to stables, and as the regs aren't a legal requirement I could wire them myself, all be it to the relavent regs requirements re installation and testing. Now if it was a shop or factory I assume the Electricity at Work Regs would apply. The stables are purely for personal use, not commercial. Then the other day I had a thought. When I applied for the electricity supply I was told it had to have a proper address, so I rang local council, who said no problem, it will take 10 minutes, and so it did! Only problem was I then got a council tax bill, back dated 3 years! Plus it was rated as a commercial building. When I pointed out that it wasn't commercial, they said there were only 2 rates, domestic or commercial. As it happens I get 100% rate relief, so don't pay anything, but here's the point, as it is rated as a commercial premises, should the EWR now apply? Just interested what others think. Don't really care, just interested.

….but here's the point, as it is rated as a commercial premises, should the EWR now apply? Just interested what others think. Don't really care, just interested.

Guess it would if your wiring burnt down the building or electrocuted anyone within a 10 miles radius :)

Don't see why burning the building down would matter.

Asking about this now is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Just interested what others think. Don't really care, just interested.

What a load of horse sh*t.
You have demonstrated many times you are not interested in what others think, and if you don't care why should anyone else ?

I’d say EWR apply to you in so far as you did your own wiring. Just my 2 cents but I think in the event of an incident the HSE or Environmental Health would use the Regs as a ‘minimum standard’ to,bash you with. Just my opinion though based on experience.

Did you not need planning and an EIC to get the building signed off?

As a matter of interest what earthing system and RCD setup did you ustilise?

The EWR would not apply in this case providing there is no-one Employed at the stables as it would not be a workplace.
Employed would apply to someone who is Self employed and in the business of looking after horses for others and therefore making (or loosing) money at the stables.

The EWR would not apply in this case providing there is no-one Employed at the stables as it would not be a workplace.
Employed would apply to someone who is Self employed and in the business of looking after horses for others and therefore making (or loosing) money at the stables.

Employed in kind or reimbursed financially?

In terms of the wiring regulations I think it would be an agricultural installation.
In terms of council tax/land usage it’s non-domestic
As far as the insurance is concerned it probably gets classed as stables/equine or something like that.
My point is that there is no universal definition of domestic or commercial and it will depend on the context.

As for health and safety and the EAWR then if it is not a place of work then it won’t apply. So if nobody works there in exchange for money, goods or any other reward etc etc then it won’t apply.
If you only keep your own horses there then it won’t apply, if someone else keeps their horse there or if someone else comes in to care for your horse while you are on holiday or whatever then this may change.

Ultimately the health and safety question would likely only be raised, or properly answered, if something bad were to happen and it go to court.

Some good answers there, it's our own land, stables and horses. Planning was obtained before electricity supply was put in, when I asked the planning officer when to get in touch to get it signed off, he said "I don't want to know". As supply is pme there is a 2 way consumer unit with a 30ma rcd. 6amp mcb for lights, 20amp for socket. All wired in plastic conduit, led lighting all plastic construction. No metal work to bond, all switches in syore, everything out of reach of horses, 2 metre earth rod. Now I will wait for the critics to slate me for that. I know swa would be better, but I'm willing to take the risk.
I see the point of hse being involved in the event of a problem, but if the regs aren't law, does it say anywhere that the hse will or can use them as a standard?

Some good answers there, it's our own land, stables and horses. Planning was obtained before electricity supply was put in, when I asked the planning officer when to get in touch to get it signed off, he said "I don't want to know". As supply is pme there is a 2 way consumer unit with a 30ma rcd. 6amp mcb for lights, 20amp for socket. All wired in plastic conduit, led lighting all plastic construction. No metal work to bond, all switches in syore, everything out of reach of horses, 2 metre earth rod. Now I will wait for the critics to slate me for that. I know swa would be better, but I'm willing to take the risk.
I see the point of hse being involved in the event of a problem, but if the regs aren't law, does it say anywhere that the hse will or can use them as a standard?
Hi @Percyprod are you genuinely interested or have you come on here to try and stir it up like you did last time? Just a word of warning that we are keeping an eye on this thread. Kind regards Lee

In light of information published on another thread, it would appear these stables have an employee so therefore would be classed as a place of work and come under EWR.

The evidence;

I paid myself such a low rate it didn't make any difference ti my income, I'm soooo tight!

and a side note, I've just found out you can use a quote from one thread into another .

Got a proffesional electrician in to fit the earthing straps to the mines. I'm on the 4th one now.

Got a proffesional electrician in to fit the earthing straps to the mines. I'm on the 4th one now. Curses Snowhead, you've found me out!

Reply to Sorry to mention stables again but... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock