Discuss spare fuseboard in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all. I will do some ring, lighting, smoke alarms on the new loft for my client. I haven't space in the old fuseboard, so I thought to install a second small fuseboard. Should I connect earthing cable to the pipe? Thanks for any help.

For avoidance of doubt -
Is the question that there is a water pipe close to where you want to put the new board, and do you have to bond it to the new board?

If the pipe is already suitably bonded to the existing board, then you don't need to bond it again from the new board.

If you're splitting tails in a henley block or similar then adding an earth bar with suitable earthing cable to the new board might be a handy place to put the main bonding in for future ease of testing/identification.

But if the existing board is the MET then also fine to just run suitable earth to the new board from there if there is space.

If the existing bonding is 6mm then now would be a good chance to upgrade it to 10mm

@Dartlec beat me to it.

I would say "No, you don't need to bond it".
My reasoning is:
The water pipe should be bonded at the point of entry to the building anyway (assuming it isn't plastic where it enters). So main protective bonding requirement should be already fulfilled. If you want to be sure you could continuity test the pipe with a wander lead to the MET.
Unless the new board is in a bathroom or other 'special location' there isn't a requirement for supplementary bonding either.
So I can't see a good reason to bond it again.

(It was once the case to say "If in doubt, bond it". Some still say this. But I don't think this is a good answer as by following this mantra things can become live in fault conditions that otherwise wouldn't.)

But if the existing board is the MET then also fine to just run suitable earth to the new board from there if there is space.

I was taught never to earth a board from another board and to split the earths in a Lucy block or other suitable accessory.

Never questioned it but now I am. Is it fine to take an earth from an existing board?

One earth - Live it

I was taught never to earth a board from another board and to split the earths in a Lucy block or other suitable accessory.

Never questioned it but now I am. Is it fine to take an earth from an existing board?
I don't see any reason why not so long as there are enough free terminals able to take the (probably) 16mm conductors. After all if you took a sub-main then it comes from there.

However, I also think it is good practice to have the MET separate from the CU so it is clear for inspection and test where the DNO earth and extraneous bonding goes, and in that case you would simply take each board's earth from the MET block.

Which is what you already do and, I believe, the best way.

(It was once the case to say "If in doubt, bond it". Some still say this. But I don't think this is a good answer as by following this mantra things can become live in fault conditions that otherwise wouldn't.)
I would still suggest that for anything that:
  • Could introduce a potential by means of it carrying cables, or being somehow in contact with the Earth (below 20k ohm) so "extraneous"
  • Can be touched when also in contact with anything else on the CPC circuit
For example, I would not bond radiators as the pipe work should already be bonded and then they can't introduce anything else, but I would bond cable tray carrying any sort of power cable.

Ive watched a video on the eFixx YouTube about this before and his opinion was that if the cable could introduce a fault which made the cable tray live, this would suggest the cable or containment is unfit for purpose.

Cant see the logic in this personally as surely that would mean only SWA could be installed on tray so the armouring became live rather than the tray if there was a fault?

Reply to spare fuseboard in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock