Discuss Spark needed in Huddersfield in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Madbazzer

DIY
Reaction score
I need an electrician that knows how to provide feed for hot tub, 32 amp constant, 40 amp peak.
Was going to get a friend of a friend to do it but he gets me to order gear then tells me he can't give me the ticket.
So anyone who can terminate 10mm swa into an adaptable box next to CU, run cores into CU including earth banjo'd from the armour.
At the other end (approx 12m, part underground, part clipped) an IP65 CU with 40a RCD, 40a type C mcb, then into 40a rotary disconnect with 6mm swa out to hot tub. There's also 8' of rods ready to be driven into the mud and of course all will need testing and certifying.
I've got most of the gear sat waiting.
If you want the job please let me know, if you want to export the earth, stay away & get a refund on your short course!
Cheers

just out of interest, what are the reasons behind not using the earth supplied to your property?
in many cases this would be by far the better way to go.

P.s. I don't want the job, just trying to fathom the logic behind the last statement.

Reactions: DPG
just out of interest, what are the reasons behind not using the earth supplied to your property?
I think I understand why, but afaik it must be tt'd on the hot tub side

in many cases this would be by far the better way to go.

P.s. I don't want the job, just trying to fathom the logic behind the last statement.

I'd like to know too. I've only done a short course you see and I'd like to be educated in such matters by knowledgeable customers who've had a tap about on the internet.

I'd like to know too. I've only done a short course you see and I'd like to be educated in such matters by knowledgeable customers who've had a tap about on the internet.

I'm not knowledgeable hence the post, but I want the job done correctly, but if you can show me where it is now acceptable to connect to suppliers earth for what I've posted then I'll gladly apologise ;)

I think I understand why, but afaik it must be tt'd on the hot tub side

AFAIK, just had to google the acronym,
as far as i know, is not a good way to start when you are trying to invite someone to install a device that if done incorrectly could kill the occupants of said hot tub if there was a fault.

There are many Knowledgeable and certified electricians on this site.

some will be in the category of qualified but useless (not many)
some will be in the category of knowledgeable and qualified but not registered for domestic work (me)
some will be knowledgeable, qualified and registered. i suggest you look for someone who fits that criteria.

When you have found the right person for the job, discuss with them how you would like it done.
There is little to be gained by telling them how to do there job. after all, you get a professional in to do a job that you are not confident in doing yourself.

Question, yes.
tell them how to do it, Hell No.

AFAIK, just had to google the acronym,
as far as i know, is not a good way to start when you are trying to invite someone to install a device that if done incorrectly could kill the occupants of said hot tub if there was a fault.

There are many Knowledgeable and certified electricians on this site.

some will be in the category of qualified but useless (not many)
some will be in the category of knowledgeable and qualified but not registered for domestic work (me)
some will be knowledgeable, qualified and registered. i suggest you look for someone who fits that criteria.

When you have found the right person for the job, discuss with them how you would like it done.
There is little to be gained by telling them how to do there job. after all, you get a professional in to do a job that you are not confident in doing yourself.

Question, yes.
tell them how to do it, Hell No.
Apologies for any offence, I know a couple of very good, qualified sparks but can't do domestic part p work, however there are a few qualified but poor "electricians" out there that will readily take a wad, but do a sub standard job, as you say it needs to be safe and up to the latest regs, salty water, big amps and semi naked people is not a good mix (unless it's the inlaws).
[automerge]1594842580[/automerge]
Maybe I'm wrong in understanding that it needs to be TT'd, but no one has shown me anything to say that exporting the earth is the correct way to do it. I have had a stab around on the interweb, and at the risk of getting conflicting advice from all n sundry there are some great posts from knowledgeable folk which is inline with IET or BISHTA.
I don't know what an equipotential zone is, I have no idea why you need 3 core from CU to garden DB, unless you're running earth in parallel with the armour, I don't know how to avoid discrimination, I have no idea why the Zs need to be 20 ohms or less.

Maybe you can enlighten me?

Last edited:

Reply to Spark needed in Huddersfield in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock