Discuss Splitting 10 mm T&E feed in a space that won't be accessible - is there a way? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ZEDEZ

-
Reaction score
I'm half way through an installation job that I didn't design, and have come up against an oversight that I need a solution for.

The issue at hand is a new kitchen with a cooker and an oven. The original design showed a 10 mm feed for the cooker, with the oven on the ring (hmm). After looking at everything on the ring and assessing load / diversity the ring was overloaded - so I informed the designer, and it turns out that both the cooker and oven are to be fed with the 10 mm cable - no surprises there.

I've run the 10 mm cable in the truss cavity above and was going to drop it down to the cooker switch, but now I have to get the cable to both the cooker and oven switch. The easiest and least labour intensive way for me to do this would be to junction the 10 mm cable up in the truss cavity, and have separate 10 mm feeds dropping straight down to the cooker and oven. The only issue here is the ceiling / truss cavity will be plied / plaster boarded, and will therefore be inaccessible.

I've had a look and I can't find a way of splitting 10 mm T&E in a maintenance free way, therefore to comply with regs it's looking like this joint will need to be accessible. So my first question is - am I right in saying that there's no maintenance free way to T junction 10 mm T&E?

If there isn't, then I'll have to come up with something else. Due to the nature of this job it'll all have to be neat and tidy, so I'm thinking to drop the 10 mm feed down behind the bottom kitchen units, and T junction the cable in a back box with plate. From this point I'll go across either way horizontally and up to each switch. I suppose another alternative would be switching both cooker and oven with the one switch.

Initially I thought about dropping the feed down to the cooker switch (will be a W x 140 mm box) and T-ing it off from there, but the thought of terminating 2 x 10 mm cables into the cooker switch supply doesn't seem ... "practicable".

I always like to do things in the tidiest and most efficient way, so rather than risk making an oversight myself I thought it best to consult with you lot here!

EZ

Last edited:
Wago topjob DIN rail terminals are available in sizes to suit 10mm2 cable. Alternatively, one switch and a dual cable outlet from click? Or even just use it to split the cable in accessible position.

Thanks for the info - After a little research I've got some bad news though. At first I thought fantastic, so I started to look around for a suitable TopJob connector / enclosure ... for some reason the pictures on Wago's site weren't loading, so I called their technical support to save faffing around.

The chap I just spoke to said Wago only have certified maintenance free connections up to 4mm2 cable - and that the TopJob wouldn't be compliant with regs right now. He did say that it's likely adequate for the job - it's just the case that it's not been certified as of yet.

He said he couldn't think of a way to achieve a maintenance free 100mm2 T junction! Bummer!

I came on to this job after things were already under way - the chap who's designed everything isn't just the kitchen designer, but is in fact the property owner / civil engineer (used to work as an electricians mate) and has done a fine job designing everything else. I checked everything over after the fact and so far this seems to be the only issue.

10mm into cooker switch/isolator, down to dual ccu, then 6mm to each appliance. it's a fixed load, so only s/c protection required. bung it on a 50A.

Could be reading this wrong but....why dont you make the junction underneath the cabinet kickboards. You could access the joint by removing the board.

Could be reading this wrong but....why dont you make the junction underneath the cabinet kickboards. You could access the joint by removing the board.

And you could use a BG 60 amp JB which has loads of room for 10mm or bigger cables, only negative thing is they look a little bit like a coffin. :smiley2:

Reply to Splitting 10 mm T&E feed in a space that won't be accessible - is there a way? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net