Discuss Spot light wiring placement... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone here can help. I recently did some carpentry work for a new customer and I noticed their electrician had just replaced a single pendant lamp with around 8 spot lights. Under each ceiling joist the electrician had removed a small strip of plasterboard, around 100mm x 20mm, and passed the cable directly under each joist from light to light, effectively within the plasterboard depth. Is it allowed under the current regulations to run the cable directly under each joist, within the thickness of the 12.5mm plasterboard, or does it still have to be at least 50mm from the ceiling surface?

Many thanks in advance

Kev

I don't like the sound of what they have done, i think it is lazy.
however sometimes you have to do what the customer wants and they may not have wanted floors lifted above so the options are limited.
if the circuit is protected by an RCD then i cant see a problem with the regs.

Thank you for the replies. The room is the bottom floor of a 3 story house, maybe 5 years old. I presume everything is rcd protected given the young age of the house. The ceiling is being re-skimmed. I'll try and attach a photo of the wiring if I can get it to upload.

If it's legal and to the regs, fair enough. Just didn't look how I'd seen other wiring done.

Attachments

• Spot light wiring placement... Screenshot_20230306_214259_Gallery - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot_20230306_214259_Gallery.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 15

Reply to Spot light wiring placement... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock