Discuss Stolen tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The worst thing is that van manufacturers seem to do absolutely sweet fa to help the situation, doors are so flimsy, and standard locks are sh@t! My type of van is known for having a spot just above the handle that if you stab a knife or screwdriver through it hits the central locking wire and shorts it, opening all the vans doors! How hard would it be to reposition the wires out of the way really?! Manufacturers need to start to make them more difficult to access. I guess they don't give a sh@t either as it only ever makes them more money selling you a new door or locks and handles!

I had a Ford Granada and that could be opened by using half a tennis ball over the lock and giving it a whack, shown to me by the Police after the car had been broken into and my briefcase stolen from the boot.

I thought that Travelodge had a controlled barrier on the access road due to the two massive data centres that are on the same road. Someone will have let them in.
My truck was reversed up to the fence that goes onto the A102 main road. Fence bars have been prised apart, so access can be gained by someone slimmer than me. I feel like I handed it to them on a plate.

Latest trick is a petrol cutter and they cut out a huge section of roof .It takes them only a few mins . No elf and safety etc .They just rip into with the big cutter

Not in my experience, the majority of scrotes break into somewhere under the cover of darkness and do not want to be detected, they love security lights, but don't like cameras.

Last edited:
Latest trick is a petrol cutter and they cut out a huge section of roof .It takes them only a few mins . No elf and safety etc .They just rip into with the big cutter

That's the trouble. While ever you've got Stihl saws and battery powered grinders then they can get in anywhere. And the battery powered angle grinder is a bike thief's dream tool.
Not in my experience, the majority of scrotes break into somewhere under the cover of darkness and do not want to be detected, they love security lights, but don't like cameras.

Not always the case these days Mike. Often they arrive in a team of 3 or 4 people. Two to do the actual cutting/smashing/thieving and one or two stand guard with crowbar on case anyone tries to stop them. They don't care what noise they make because they will be gone in minutes.

My truck was reversed up to the fence that goes onto the A102 main road. Fence bars have been prised apart, so access can be gained by someone slimmer than me. I feel like I handed it to them on a plate.
Not your fault mate, I wouldn't have even considered they would try getting in that way.

Not always the case these days Mike. Often they arrive in a team of 3 or 4 people. Two to do the actual cutting/smashing/thieving and one or two stand guard with crowbar on case anyone tries to stop them. They don't care what noise they make because they will be gone in minutes.
Agreed... and in the highly unlikely event of a policeman arriving... they'll either claim to be part of the travelling community... so untouchable, or Eastern European and don't understand English. If they get as far as being interviewed... it'll be 'no comment' all the way through, then after they're released... they vanish... to carry on where they left off.

That's the trouble. While ever you've got Stihl saws and battery powered grinders then they can get in anywhere. And the battery powered angle grinder is a bike thief's dream tool.

Look at car Cat thefts. They are happy to make a noise and work on intimidation .How many people will take on a few pikey types unless 1/2 the street roll out for a fight /

I know a professional security consultant, ex-military and now designs security systems for banks, high end jewellers etc.
He said to me once most cctv is next to useless as its been in too long and the image quality is poor. when they do have decent cctv if carrying out a break in at night then the pro burglars and crooks use LED halos, they have rapidly flashing IR leds that obscure the face and head on the footage. all you see when playing back is a bright white circle over them. they may also use really bright static leds if there are floodlights that will come on as this will equally blind the camera. this stuff can all be bought online.
He told me once about a group of eastern europeans who broke in to a high end fashion store in London, they picked the locks, jammed the phone signals and cut the bt line outfront. the cctv showed nothing despite being high end kit as they wore the led halos. they had somebody on a moped blind the onstreet cctv using powerful laser. next to no evidence in and out within several minutes and tens of thousands of clothes taken.
I doubt very much the cctv in hotel car parks is up to much!!

I know a professional security consultant, ex-military and now designs security systems for banks, high end jewellers etc.
He said to me once most cctv is next to useless as its been in too long and the image quality is poor. when they do have decent cctv if carrying out a break in at night then the pro burglars and crooks use LED halos, they have rapidly flashing IR leds that obscure the face and head on the footage. all you see when playing back is a bright white circle over them. they may also use really bright static leds if there are floodlights that will come on as this will equally blind the camera. this stuff can all be bought online.
He told me once about a group of eastern europeans who broke in to a high end fashion store in London, they picked the locks, jammed the phone signals and cut the bt line outfront. the cctv showed nothing despite being high end kit as they wore the led halos. they had somebody on a moped blind the onstreet cctv using powerful laser. next to no evidence in and out within several minutes and tens of thousands of clothes taken.
I doubt very much the cctv in hotel car parks is up to much!!

The best thing about cctv, and what people often overlook, is that other people's cameras may well pick the scrotes up before they put their balaclavas on. They are often spotted before they arrive at the target address. And they can't really block the whole street's cameras. That's the good thing about more and more people having CCTV.

The best thing about cctv, and what people often overlook, is that other people's cameras may well pick the scrotes up before they put their balaclavas on. They are often spotted before they arrive at the target address. And they can't really block the whole street's cameras. That's the good thing about more and more people having CCTV.
Thats exactly what he says, you basically have to track them backwards, especially in london you will catch them soon or later on camera then can tie it in with phone data etc...

Here is another possibility - anyone for beekeeping? This was on my facebook feed today....
1624473144340.png

Reply to Stolen tools in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net