Discuss storm tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparky-s-w

dear fellow indulgers of the electrical disaplin, i would greatly value any ideas.

customers MCB for kitchen sockets tripped during the storm yesterday, and would not latch in for the custmer at the time. however on arival this morning, the breaker reset. all tests came out clear apart from the RCD trip time, both x1 and x5 tests triped without giving a milli second value. tried at 0 and 180, also tried at x1/2 same thing RCD tripped with no value displayed. strange as RCD hadnt rtipped with the origional fault

sockets are back on, and customer is happy, but i am not. would apreciate your thoughts.

Was it an electrical storm? Any ramp test done on RCD? Any earth leakage?

was an elec storm yes, no earth leakage, all other tests ok, the RCD hadnt triped origionaly, just the MCB, but did an RCD test as part of the course, which is when it kept tripping with no values showing on tester.

I'd have thought that the two most obvious contenders are, er, obvious:

1) water penetration somewhere
2) power surge / emf spike

why the RCD is now being a bit suss could be because it's now shafted (not beyond possibility it could be burnt out internally hence not tripping last night - if it's only a standard 6kA one that's nothing to a bolt of lightning)

yep i agree, my first thoughts were as you say water ingress or a strike, hadnt thought that the RCD might have beendamaged by it though. think ill get it changed anyway.

Could also depend on when the customer last tested the RCD, as we know they get tested every three months...

customer is happy, but sparky isn't. i would advise replacing the RCD and then doing a RCD test, if similar results to the old one, then there is a circuit problem

Also worth doing a check on your meter with another RCD to ensure that your meter is working OK and on the right settings, just in case you change the RCD for no reason.
However I would think it likely the RCD was damaged.

Hi sparky, Did you remember to conduct the RCD tests with ALL loads disconnected from the RCD. A low impedance load on the RCD may drag the voltage down so quickly, that although the RCD trips, the meter is either unable to record & display a value or displays an unreliable short disconnection time. Conversely, in situations where the load has input capacitors (eg. RFI Suppression or reservoir capacitors) the voltage maybe artificially held up, causing the meter to display an unreliable long disconnection time.

The fact the MCB reset after a time would suggest a thermal O/L trip. Check out the RCD by all means, but have a close look at the kitchen RFC.

Reply to storm tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock