Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss sub contracting in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leekemp85

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

can anyone help me on the hourly rate for a sub contractor, since the company I worked for went into liquidation I have become self employed. But a sole trader had asked me to do some work on one of his jobs. He wants me to give him a price for labour only he will supply all materials.
But I don't know what a fair price is. I know a large % of new companies go out of work in there first two years for simply not charging enough to stay a float

Its not a massive job,
changing a 20 board
replacing a few light fittings
and re trunking a bell cable that is in power trunking

Advise please!!

M

Modernelectric

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You should be looking for about 15 quid an hour, or 150 quid per day.

D

DHES-LTD

Yeah 150 to 180 a day going rate.

L

leekemp85

Thanks, I though £100 a day was a bit cheap.

lurch

-
Arms
JIB rate for an approved electrician with own transport is £13.67. I would say a self employed subby would be looking at £18-20 an hour!

bcm_spark

-
Arms
Through agencies at the minute we are only getting £13.50 an hour, and that is considered good by some agencies I spoke to today. Last year up until Xmas I was on £15 an hour.

M

matt456

15.05 with nrl recruitment is my current rate
i got a phone call from another agency asking what is the minimum i would work for!!!! needless to say i replied 15.50;)

bcm_spark

-
Arms
Where you woking Matt? I got my name down for a power station job with NRL, starts sometime in June which is nice because my current job ends in June. Hopefully it'll be blue book but im wating for more details.

M

matt456

im working in sunderland
have you worked on a power station before as it is closed shop so to speak on them at the moment. im on that many lists for this type of job that im a threat to the worlds rainforests! still not got a start yet!!!:mad:
is your job near kent?

Last edited by a moderator:

bcm_spark

-
Arms
Not worked on one before but ive been trying to get on one for ages! Its the new one near Newark. Im also down for another power station job with Scantec but they wouldn't tell me which one it is.

M

matt456

scantec have got one to do apparently i have heard that as well, what is happenin gthough is the supervisors are putting forward lists of buddies and they are the ones getting the jobs regardless of what qualifications people have or how they work. that really annoys me. its not what you know its who. belive me i have seen some pthaetic workers taking good jobs just cause they know somene and they do nothing when they get their except whinge and they know nothing about wht there doing
just the way it is though

bcm_spark

-
Arms
I know exactly what you mean, I have been working with someone like that. He only got the job because of a bloke in the office then all he did was moan, did bugger all and point blank refused to do overtime when we were behind schedule.

I will have to see what happens though but apart from those 2 jobs I haven't got owt else lined up for when I finish in June.

Reply to sub contracting in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom