Discuss sub contracting in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

leekemp85

can anyone help me on the hourly rate for a sub contractor, since the company I worked for went into liquidation I have become self employed. But a sole trader had asked me to do some work on one of his jobs. He wants me to give him a price for labour only he will supply all materials.
But I don't know what a fair price is. I know a large % of new companies go out of work in there first two years for simply not charging enough to stay a float

Its not a massive job,
changing a 20 board
replacing a few light fittings
and re trunking a bell cable that is in power trunking

Advise please!!

JIB rate for an approved electrician with own transport is £13.67. I would say a self employed subby would be looking at £18-20 an hour!

Through agencies at the minute we are only getting £13.50 an hour, and that is considered good by some agencies I spoke to today. Last year up until Xmas I was on £15 an hour.

15.05 with nrl recruitment is my current rate
i got a phone call from another agency asking what is the minimum i would work for!!!! needless to say i replied 15.50;)

Where you woking Matt? I got my name down for a power station job with NRL, starts sometime in June which is nice because my current job ends in June. Hopefully it'll be blue book but im wating for more details.

im working in sunderland
have you worked on a power station before as it is closed shop so to speak on them at the moment. im on that many lists for this type of job that im a threat to the worlds rainforests! still not got a start yet!!!:mad:
is your job near kent?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not worked on one before but ive been trying to get on one for ages! Its the new one near Newark. Im also down for another power station job with Scantec but they wouldn't tell me which one it is.

scantec have got one to do apparently i have heard that as well, what is happenin gthough is the supervisors are putting forward lists of buddies and they are the ones getting the jobs regardless of what qualifications people have or how they work. that really annoys me. its not what you know its who. belive me i have seen some pthaetic workers taking good jobs just cause they know somene and they do nothing when they get their except whinge and they know nothing about wht there doing
just the way it is though

I know exactly what you mean, I have been working with someone like that. He only got the job because of a bloke in the office then all he did was moan, did bugger all and point blank refused to do overtime when we were behind schedule.

I will have to see what happens though but apart from those 2 jobs I haven't got owt else lined up for when I finish in June.

we charge £35 an hour to commercial customers and between £20 to £30 domestic we are a ltd company 1 man band 12 years established got to charges these cost with all the over heads and we have loads of work

I have just went self employed what can I claim for regarding tax etc

Have a look on the direct.gov website and business link,you can claim for tools,van,fuel against your profits by submitting a tax return after the end of this tax year,you can use an accountant or do an online self assessment,keep all your receipts!!!!!!!!!!!!

i do a lot of work with few different companies and what we do is 50/50 split of profit so if hes charging £400, he would take materials off say board is £100 then you would split remainder so £150 each price is for example only. plus you also have fuel cost,insurances, national insurance and 20% tax cost too so need to take that into consideration too personally i wouldnt do for less than £20 per hour

Reply to sub contracting in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock