Discuss Summer hols project - Jacob’s Ladder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Thought I might do something interesting with mini-me as a holiday project and make a Jacob’s ladder - anyone have any advice and/or a suitable HT coil I can barter for?

R.

Aico 3000
This official sponsor may provide discounts to registered members

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
One for @Lucien Nunes I think!

I know some folk use old neon lamp transformers from 50Hz mains but they are deadly if not used very carefully (not that I doub't your skills, but we all make mistakes from time to time).

If it were me I would be looking to use a higher frequency AC supply (kHz region) so far less risk of fibrillation on contact, so something like an old car ignition coil or the line/flyback transformer of an old CRT TV.

Reaction score
Depends on the scale you have in mind!
At the lower end it can be all done for you:

or things can get dangerous ⚡️

Last edited:

DPG

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Depends on the scale you have in mind!
At the lower end it can be all done for you:

or things can get dangerous ⚡️

Call me a wuss, but I think I'd stick to the 1st one!

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Maybe a slighty easier and safer project to start with would be making the Leyden Jar capacitor, charging it, and discharging it creating an arc....
1627828573111.png

Moley

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Let us know when you are planning on playing around with it. I'm in Somerset until the 15th. I would like to know when we are going to be blacked out 😄 I assume it'll look something like the northern lights followed by the blue flashing lights of the fire engines?

freddo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I built a little tiny one when I was at school, the psu was an old TV flyback transformer, run with a simple drive circuit, the primary winding was hand wound around the exposed ferrite core. The current and voltage weren't all that high so it wasn't very spectacular! I must still have it somewhere...

Reply to Summer hols project - Jacob’s Ladder in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.