Discuss Summer house electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gun1234

DIY
Reaction score
Hi I am a DIYer and have been looking for an electrician to complete work. I want to run electrics to my summer house which is going to be used as an office/ entertainment room (Man Cave). I discussed going from the hous cu with armoured cable - but this required updated my house cu box which started pushing the cost up higher than expected.

I have a nearby garage which is wired into the cu board and has a cu box within the garage. says not to exceed 60 amps. Out of this there is wiring around the garage to a set of sockets one after the other. These donot appear to be in a ring as the cables just go from one to the next with no return cable and the last socket only has a single cable entering it. This then has a cable spurred out of the back of the socket into a shed.

My question is could I spur off, replacing this existing spur with armoured cable (6mm) 20 metres to summer house?
What would I need to connect armoured cable at each end?
Would I need another cu in the summer house?

Thanks for any responses.

Hi I am a DIYer and have been looking for an electrician to complete work. I want to run electrics to my summer house which is going to be used as an office/ entertainment room (Man Cave). I discussed going from the hous cu with armoured cable - but this required updated my house cu box which started pushing the cost up higher than expected.

I have a nearby garage which is wired into the cu board and has a cu box within the garage. says not to exceed 60 amps. Out of this there is wiring around the garage to a set of sockets one after the other. These donot appear to be in a ring as the cables just go from one to the next with no return cable and the last socket only has a single cable entering it. This then has a cable spurred out of the back of the socket into a shed.

My question is could I spur off, replacing this existing spur with armoured cable (6mm) 20 metres to summer house?
What would I need to connect armoured cable at each end?
Would I need another cu in the summer house?

Thanks for any responses.
Bad idea, you need some professional input for this job Mate.

I am not looking to do myself but wanted to see my options as electriian who came round said he would just spur off garage with 2.5mm armoured cable and run light and sockets from spur

Lot of variables, existing supply to garage, is there RCD protection, distance (volt drop), maximum demand required in man cave? For a couple of sockets and a light you might be ok with just a 13a FCU from garage. If garage supply is s bit beefier may have potential for separate circuit from garage CU but things start to become notifiable.

I discussed going from the hous cu with armoured cable - but this required updated my house cu box which started pushing the cost up higher than expected.

You could always just add a small CU next to the original CU purely for the garage, thus leaving the house CU unchanged, if you want more than 13A for the summer house.
This will be notifiable but will be cheaper than replacing the house CU.

From the info given the existing garage circuit is not a ring final circuit so the term to spur from it may be a term and not a suggestion it is limited to 13A. It is not clear however where the garage DB is connected from.

Sounds like if you go from your garage you will have 13a max to play with but if you are not going to do it yourself you need to be getting some electricians round to have a look and see if any of them fancy the job, they will advise how they see it best

Reply to Summer house electrics in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net