Discuss Summerhouse Wiring Debate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning all,

I've been having a debate with someone I know who wants their summerhouse wiring up. The summer house is approx 25-30M from the CU in the house and they will want 2/3 x double sockets and 2 x lights (internal & external).
The double sockets will power a small wine fridge/cooler, radio or sound bar, a neon sign and maybe one or two more small appliances that they're unsure of at the minute.

The debate is about the csa to feed the summerhouse. He said that there is a length of 2.5mm SWA 4 core that runs from the house to where the summerhouse is now, buried in a duct as it used to feed some sort of pump for a pond that was once there. He would like to reconnect the 2.5mm SWA to the CU in the house and then to the sockets in the summerhouse, and spur from them for the lighting.

I on the other hand believe that the feed should be upgraded to atleast a 4mm SWA from the CU in the house, to a small CU in the summerhouse, and take the final circuits from there. I just think that even if you were to connect the 2.5mm SWA to a CU in the summer house, that the CSA is just too small. Do you agree?

Although the latest edition of BS7671 says that the current carrying capacity of 2.5mm SWA is 29A direct in ground, the 37A for 4mm SWA just gives you that extra room.

I'd appreciate any advice and input on this one.

If they need more than 20A then maybe upgrade, but a summer house where the biggest load is the kettle should be fine.

Thanks for the replies I appreciate the feedback!

I was just more concerned with future proofing the install, as it's all well and good them saying they'll limit the use of appliances but we all know how things can change. Maybe I was being too over cautious afterall.

As long as the 2.5mm is appropriately protected I see no problem.

You don't necessarily need a CU at the summerhouse either, if its a 20A circuit it could feed the sockets directly with a sfcu for the lights. You'll just have to find a way to provide the necessary RCD protection

The CU in the house already has RCD protection, and some spare ways, so I would be sorted for that one thanks. I forgot to mention that in my original post.

The existing cable is of inadequate csa for volt drop requirements the only way to resolve this is a larger cable.

I was just more concerned with future proofing the install, as it's all well and good them saying they'll limit the use of appliances but we all know how things can change. .

How can you 'future proof' it? Do you have the ability to see into the future and know what is going to happen? And how far into the future would you be proofing it for?

How can you 'future proof' it? Do you have the ability to see into the future and know what is going to happen? And how far into the future would you be proofing it for?
If I take a larger feed, to a CU with multiple ways, then there's plenty of room for expansion in the future. How many times have you heard of someone wanting to add something later on but there being no room in the CU or the csa is inadequate.
If they want to add some more sockets, add some more sockets. Need some heating in there in the winter? Plug in some heaters. You want to plug in a inflatable hot tub? Plug in that hot tub. Sorry not sure what you didn't get when I said future proofing the install..

Reply to Summerhouse Wiring Debate in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock