Discuss Supplementary bonding in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

slrichardson

After some thoughts on this.
Been changing a consumer unit at an old house. The cabling is mostly rubber with some pvc cables.
All IR'd ok, but the lighting has no earth at light points and switches although there is one at the c/u. There are also some sockets on the lighting circuit that have an earth.
Thinking there is a jb system for the lights.
The client will be comprehensively refurbishing in the new year. Rewiring replumbing etc.
What are your thoughts on the supp. bonding situation.
Should i try and get a connection or do i make a note on the eic :confused:
Over to you

to be honest in my opinion, its sounds like it needs the lighting rewiring at least. Seen as you've changed the consumer unit, u need to update all the earthing as its now on your back. The earthing tails on a tn-s system needs to be 16mm and the gas and water on 10mm. look up the regs book or search the net for the other systems

If hes having it rewired soon, I'd update the earthing soon as, run tests on his other circuits to make sure theres no faults. Make sure he understands about theres no earth too.

anyone else got a better explanation to his situation ?

hope that helps,

regards luke

Would not change the consumer unit until all other remedial works were complete including insp/test.If the lights are not to be touched then at the very least ensure that all wiring accessories are class 2 and that a note/or label printed in idelible ink be placed next to the consumer unit advising that under no circumstances that there be any class 1 accessories be connected to this circuit.Furthermore another note should be recorded on the EIC you should issue on completion of all works,not to mention the warning notice regarding wiring/harmonization colours and RCD test notice.

Reply to Supplementary bonding in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock