Discuss Supply to garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jimlin

I've inherited a mess that needs sorting. It's a supply to a garage. At the moment it looks like this:
Company Fuse into house is 60 A
Tails to CU are 16mm
Earthing is TN-S
Supply comes into the house on the ground floor by the the front door.
To get the supply to the garage, somebody has put 10mm T+E cable into the consumer unit with a 32A MCB
This cable goes into the roof space, is laid unsecured on the rafters and runs to the back of the house.
The cable exits the house by being shoved through a gap in the eaves, drops into the back garden, runs in small bore drainage bike to the bottom of the garden, under a narrow lane (buried to 50cm) and then into an ancient 4 way consumer unit in the garage.
It looks lethal. I've disconnected it.
This is what I propose to do:
  1. Ask the DNO to upgrade the company fuse to 100A, upgrading the supply cable if necessary
  2. Fit an 80A switch fuse
  3. Connect this to the supply using 16mm tails
  4. Run 16mm swa three core cable from the switch fuse as per the existing route but support it every 600mm with cleats and raise it off the floor in the roof space so that it is attached to the brickwork.
  5. Clip the cable with cleats every 600mmin a clearly visible position to the robust fence which runs the length of the garden.
  6. Take it under the lane at a depth of 1m
  7. Take in into a new CU at the garage end
  8. Earth at either end using the earth conductor.
  9. Replace all the cabling and accessories in the garage on the basis that if the feed out there is that bad, then the rest is going to be quite poor too.

All comments and suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks.

Jim

why do you want to use 16mm to the garage? welding equipment and/or volt drop?

16mm seems very big for a garage, what loads are you expecting there, also 500mm is deep enough in most cases for SWA cable, 600 at most, 1000mm alot of unnecessary work

You haven't given us the most important parts of your design ... Distance from house CU to the garage CU, (in terms of actual cable length)?? Or what your intending to supply in this remote garage??

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll maybe never know, ...he's just disappeared!! lol!!! Which is typical just lately, ....ask a question and ...Gone!!

Lets hope excavating that extra dep trench,it hasn't collapsed and buried him

Nope, it's not a weed farm but it will be running a kiln, a compressor and a TIG welder (not all at once.

Thanks for the advice on the trench. That's saved me a load of back ache.

Cable length in total is 60 metres assuming I still run it through the roof space.

Thanks for all the information.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:
If all the factors are correct, including the 60amps, then Ive worked it out at 16mm cable, with10.44 vd at full load which equates to 4.54%.

I used 60 Amps, with 60mtrs, reference method C, with a BS 60898, type B ambient temp of 25c.

I hope Ive done this right........

If you split the circuit down on your calcs you may come out a bit better off i.e T&E from CU to adaptable box the SWA to garage. The SWA would be at a lower ambient temp than the T&E so you may be able to drop a cable size or two and save a few quid.

If you split the circuit down on your calcs you may come out a bit better off i.e T&E from CU to adaptable box the SWA to garage. The SWA would be at a lower ambient temp than the T&E so you may be able to drop a cable size or two and save a few quid.
Thanks Strima, it's worth a look.

Thanks to everyone here too. It's my first post on this forum and the responses have been very helpful.

Reply to Supply to garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock