Discuss Supply to log cabin and earthing arragments in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new to this forum so please bare with me.
I was after some advice if possible, I’m going to be taking a supply to a log cabin in a customers garden and wiring the log cabin itself. The cabin is pretty much a small bungalow with shower,cooker,hob,ring,water heater,lights and an electric heater so as you can imagine the max demand load will be pretty high. Il be running the cables externally in plastic conduit to allow for expansion of the cabin.

Am I right in taking a supply from the Origin via an 100A DP switch with an 80A HRC fuse. Run in 25mm SWA to allow for voltage drop (approx 35m run). Supplying either a split load board or individual Rcbo’s.

In terms of earthing am I right in thinking if the origin is TNS I can use the earth contained in the SWA and if its TNCS I’d have to install a rod and TT the system at the log cabin.

Does the swa from the origin need rcd protection?
Any tips that may come in handy when working the log cabin?
Thanks I’m advance.

Welcome to the forum mate.
How is the water getting to the log cabin? Copper pipe?

With the quals that you have, you should know or have an understanding of what you have asked. Maybe tell us what your interpretation of the regs are and if you have misinterpreted something members (well most) will give guidance.

I see that you are based in England and you are adding a new circuit. Are you informing the powers that be?

Hi all, I’m new to this forum so please bare with me.
I was after some advice if possible, I’m going to be taking a supply to a log cabin in a customers garden and wiring the log cabin itself. The cabin is pretty much a small bungalow with shower,cooker,hob,ring,water heater,lights and an electric heater so as you can imagine the max demand load will be pretty high. Il be running the cables externally in plastic conduit to allow for expansion of the cabin.

Am I right in taking a supply from the Origin via an 100A DP switch with an 80A HRC fuse. Run in 25mm SWA to allow for voltage drop (approx 35m run). Supplying either a split load board or individual Rcbo’s.

In terms of earthing am I right in thinking if the origin is TNS I can use the earth contained in the SWA and if its TNCS I’d have to install a rod and TT the system at the log cabin.

Does the swa from the origin need rcd protection?
Any tips that may come in handy when working the log cabin?
Thanks I’m advance.
Plastic conduit externally? how is that going to work?

You're taking the Michael, aren't you. :D

Apologies Luke I was being a bit naughty last night, but not meant with yourself :(

Others might disagree, but I think some thought needs to be considered with this install and whether it can co-exist with the existing installation supply. What use is the main property being used for and will the log cabin be used for at the same time?

It is quite a common misconception that a TN-C-S earth cannot be exported to an outbuilding.
I heard the same thing only a couple of months back from another supervisor with years of experience and many qualifications on a site I was working at. I couldn’t be bothered to educate him.
No SWA cable does not require RCD protection.

Reply to Supply to log cabin and earthing arragments in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net