Discuss surge install or not (farm) in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi all,

end of last year as part of some agri work we had to re supply some barns. changing nothing to their install individually but from an overhead to underground SWA.
Another spark has been there to work on some new install in some offices. he has said to the tenant farmer that we should have installed surge protection at each of the points we have re fed, halfway along a 160m run is a barn that has a socket and light then it terminates to a workshop that has a typical framers approach TT systems obviously and divorced earth as origin is PME. As the farmer is not paying it for these works instructions are as normal to keep costs to a minimum.
Im questioning myself but I don't see why we should have if just re feeding an existing system?
any advice appreciated.

hi all,

end of last year as part of some agri work we had to re supply some barns. changing nothing to their install individually but from an overhead to underground SWA.
Another spark has been there to work on some new install in some offices. he has said to the tenant farmer that we should have installed surge protection at each of the points we have re fed, halfway along a 160m run is a barn that has a socket and light then it terminates to a workshop that has a typical framers approach TT systems obviously and divorced earth as origin is PME. As the farmer is not paying it for these works instructions are as normal to keep costs to a minimum.
Im questioning myself but I don't see why we should have if just re feeding an existing system?
any advice appreciated.
I suggest you read the IET guidance mote 1 OSG 3.7.2.1 Regulation 443. 1,443.2 and 443.4 which states where SPDs "may not be needed"
Followed by OSG 3.7.2.2 "Where SPD protection is required"
The flow chart on 3.7.2.2 OSG should help with your question,

Generally SPD is a good thing, but depending on the region (for lighting activity level), feed arrangement (for susceptibility to picking it up), and connected equipment (risk of damage and impact of any), you may not be able to justify it.

As Pete999 has pointed out, the IET 18th has a flow chart and other info for guidance.

If there is no history of trouble you could reasonably assume it is not needed, more so going from overhear to SWA where the risk of pick-up is lower.

Generally SPD is a good thing, but depending on the region (for lighting activity level), feed arrangement (for susceptibility to picking it up), and connected equipment (risk of damage and impact of any), you may not be able to justify it.

As Pete999 has pointed out, the IET 18th has a flow chart and other info for guidance.

If there is no history of trouble you could reasonably assume it is not needed, more so going from overhear to SWA where the risk of pick-up is lower.
Indeed having read through prior we came to decision it wasnt needed. Very low risk of lighting, literally very little vulnerable equipment (handful of led floods) No livestock being arable farm.
[automerge]1595411360[/automerge]

[automerge]1595411466[/automerge]
Also, the supply the farm is now under ground, so no over head

Anyone got the flowchart at hand, or is it online? My 18th is back in the house.
Ive got heaters to go into a village hall.... some existing circuits, some new.. 3ph board but all single phase circuits.
The additional circuits will fill the board to capacity....

I dont think it needs an SPD, just general lighting and power, kitchen, all electric heating.
The groups that use the hall will bring their own equipment, but usually nothing more than a CD player for the pilates group.

Anyone got the flowchart at hand, or is it online? My 18th is back in the house.
Ive got heaters to go into a village hall.... some existing circuits, some new.. 3ph board but all single phase circuits.

I dont think it needs an SPD, just general lighting and power, kitchen, all electric heating.
The groups that use the hall will bring their own equipment, but usually nothing more than a CD player for the pilates group.
OSG has one I carry mine with me, or used to when I was active

If it’s a new installation Then you need to do a risk assessment, if you don’t , then the installation shall be protected against transient overvoltages etc etc.
For a few new circuits added then it’s not necessarily required.

Reply to surge install or not (farm) in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net