Discuss Swapping a switch for a dimmer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

johnsimpson

Hi all, I am looking for a little bit of advice if you don't mind...

I have recently purchased a new build home and we have installed some new lighting in the kitchen/dinner and I want to change the normal switch for a dimmer switch...

Currently the normal switch has 2 switches on and I have bought a 2 switch dimmer to replace with.

When I took the switch off the wall I am a little confused as to the wiring, I tried wiring it up exactly the same from the switch to the dimmer but it the lights wouldn't work when I put the power back on.... I don't want to start swapping wires around without a little advice.

Swapping a switch for a dimmer photo 1.JPG - EletriciansForums.netSwapping a switch for a dimmer photo 2.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

If you look at the images I have taken a pic of the existing light switch which works, I am not sure how clear it is but the neutral blue wires are all joined in a connector and not in the switch at all, the brown live wires are connected to the L1 and L2 terminals and a separate wire is going from L1 to L1

Here is a pic of my new dimmer switch
Swapping a switch for a dimmer photo.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Please can someone advise to how I need to wire this up? Or should I just bite the bullet and get an electrician in?

many thanks in advance!

John

L1 on the old switch is just the common. So L1s in common and l2s in l1. If that doesn't make sense get a electrician in. Obviously you need the link between commons

You should be able to wire the new switch the same as the old one - the link goes between the common conductors along with the feed (the wire with them) and the other 2 wires go into L1.

Remember to turn the power off at the fuseboard before you do that of course!

You may find it tight getting a dimmer on that plaster depth box,take great care not to pinch any wires......One reason to always install 35mm deep boxes on switches,especially where feeds are taken to the switch.

Edit...clearly farmelectrics thinking along the same lines 1minute before me!

On your old switch you have
L1 L2 L3 for each switch
on the new switch the terminals
C L1 L2
are the equivalents on each switch.
If you wire the new switch using this conversion it should be OK.

If this is a new build then chances are its a fluorescent light, so when the dimmer switch is connected correctly I will wait for the "since fitting a dimmer switch the RCD trips when I switch the light on", post!!!!

OP says he's installed some new lighting. hopefully he has binned the useless CFL rubbish

Reply to Swapping a switch for a dimmer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock