Discuss Switch wiring to accommodate a security light (ideally that’s permanently on) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
can anyone please advise on where the wires go?

My electrician installed a new cable ready for when I bought a security light. The cable as shown feeds in a two way switch that currently operates the garage light. Only the one switch is used and is connected to a single switch at the other end of the garage.

The next switch in the new unit is not used (I presume ready for the security light).

I am aware that I can attach the neutral and earth to the existing ones shown and the live to the existing com (of the switch that is currently being used), but I want to operate it separately, otherwise the security light will only work when I turn on the garage light (which I established when trying the wiring out).

IMG_5542.jpeg

If your 2-way switching is wired as below, you don't want to use the com. terminal, but whichever of L1 or L2 is permanent live (possibly the black cable in your right-hand terminal?)

IMG_0430.jpeg

Reply to Switch wiring to accommodate a security light (ideally that’s permanently on) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

First, sorry if I'm not in the correxct thread. I'm trying to replace an old switch with a WIFI switch and cannot seem to do it right. There are...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m new to the forum. Thanks for letting me join. Asking for some diy advicd… I’m trying to add a couple more security lights to the existing...
Replies
Views
Hello, I would liked to install a Byron wired doorbell with built in chime and 8v transformer. I'm struggling to get power source. I have a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Looking for someone to help with this dilemma. Image attached to try and explain it better. We have 3 separate lights currently...
Replies
Views
Hi I want to add a light to my attic. There is a single switch on the landing that I want to change to a double switch and then use it to still...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock