Discuss Tendering for a extension project but not registered in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gazthesparky

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Looking for opinions/ advice

I'm in Scotland by the way so part P doesn't stand

I've been asked to put a quotation together for a rewire and extension project. They have sent me over the plans and I'm just having a first glance at the architect drawings and in the notes it states that the electrical work is to be carried out to bs7671 ect and work to be completed by a select or NICEIC contractor.

I am fully insured and all work is inspected and tested and certificated I hold 17th and 2391 and full apprenticeship

I'm not a member of any governing body is this going to be a problem ?

Is it just the architect is being blind sighted saying only NIC People are competent or is it going to cause me a problem as I'm not a member ?

Cheers
46704cba5fa730243b4634741f151e22.jpg

Last edited:
What council region are you going to be working in? I contacted most of the local authorities and asked this question, some say just put a copy of grade card in with the certs and some want NIC or select

The big clue is in the bit that says the notes it states that the electrical work is to be carried out to bs7671 ect and work to be completed by a select or NICEIC contractor
Hi Looking for opinions/ advice

I'm in Scotland by the way so part P doesn't stand

I've been asked to put a quotation together for a rewire and extension project. They have sent me over the plans and I'm just having a first glance at the architect drawings and in the notes it states that the electrical work is to be carried out to bs7671 ect and work to be completed by a select or NICEIC contractor.

I am fully insured and all work is inspected and tested and certificated I hold 17th and 2391 and full apprenticeship

I'm not a member of any governing body is this going to be a problem ?

Is it just the architect is being blind sighted saying only NIC People are competent or is it going to cause me a problem as I'm not a member ?

Cheers
46704cba5fa730243b4634741f151e22.jpg

The big clue is in the bit that says the notes it states that the electrical work is to be carried out to bs7671 ect and work to be completed by a select or NICEIC contractor

Ok then I guess you can not be an electrician unless you belong to Select or NIC.

I am only asking as a lot of people wrongly think the NIC is the be all and end all and only NIC contractors can work on projects. I'm only asking if people have come up against this before or is that a hard and fast rule that you have to be a NIC contractor.

All my work conforms to BS7671 but I am not a member of a scam. I think it's just a general term that the architect has included in his terms.

I might give the architect a call and ask him

Ok then I guess you can not be an electrician unless you belong to Select or NIC.

I am only asking as a lot of people wrongly think the NIC is the be all and end all and only NIC contractors can work on projects. I'm only asking if people have come up against this before or is that a hard and fast rule that you have to be a NIC contractor.

All my work conforms to BS7671 but I am not a member of a scam. I think it's just a general term that the architect has included in his terms.

I might give the architect a call and ask him

I've been ignoring this longer than I care to remember Gaz. It's just a basic preamble that architects seem to use along with 'work to bs7671' and 'MK accessories must be used. '

Most of my work is commercial and it seems that every quote I've done has this, it harks back to the day when the Nic were the only governing body regulating quality of work.

Having said this it's your call and you must decide what to do about it. As you say maybe a call to the person requesting the quote might be a good idea.

I'm not sure what would happen if I was ever questioned about it after the event.

I've been ignoring this longer than I care to remember Gaz. It's just a basic preamble that architects seem to use along with 'work to bs7671' and 'MK accessories must be used. '

Most of my work is commercial and it seems that every quote I've done has this, it harks back to the day when the Nic were the only governing body regulating quality of work.

Having said this it's your call and you must decide what to do about it. As you say maybe a call to the person requesting the quote might be a good idea.

I'm not sure what would happen if I was ever questioned about it after the event.

I guessed that and it really annoys me when people think the NIC are the be all and end all

I think I will say to the customer that I'm not with the NIC and also might include a line or too on my quote

Don't know don't want to put myself out of work because I don't jump through the NIC hoop

The new yellow BS 7671:2008Says Skilled person (Electrically). Person who possesses, as appropriate to the nature of the electrical work to be undertaken, adequate education, training and practical skills, and who is able to perceive risks and avoid hazards which electricity can create.
NOTE 1: The term "(electricity)" is assumed to be present where the term "skilled person" is used throughout BS 7671
NOTE 2: Regulation 16 of the Electricity at Work Regulation 1989 requires persons to be competent to prevent danger and injury. The HSE publication HR25 provides guidance on this.

So I would say that you have the qualifications and the skills. But the requirement / Contract that you sign up for asks for NICIC or equivalent . So could be a problem at sign off with you being charged for non compliance. I would et a email or letter from architect confirming that you are ok to quote. Other wise he ay just use your quote as a reference price against the others.
AdieB

Reply to Tendering for a extension project but not registered in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net