Discuss Testing 3 phase (r1+r2) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yeah I know what you are saying mate but iam sure they made us link l1 l2 l3 to earth and there for take a reading at every individual point
That's ok, link at the circuit source then test individually at the circuit end.
R1 (L1) + R2 (E)
R1 (L2) + R2 (E)
R1 (L3) + R2 (E) for example.

Last edited:
I agree it's ok, but to my thinking it's not totally ideal.
As stated above, you are proving continuity of CPC so doing one test is technically sufficient for that.

But this is a good opportunity to check there are no high resistance loose connections in the phase conductors, and prove that phase sequence stays consistent throughout a circuit.
For that reason I join one at a time, and test the other end.
It's not wrong to earth them all and test individually, but phase swaps en-route would be missed, and results could be confused if e.g. you find L2 to CPC has high resistance at the circuit end, but the loose connection is actually on L3 as L2 and L3 are transposed in an upstream isolator.
I'm splitting hairs a bit, but hopefully you get my point.

All that said, while in college it's simpler to do what they want!

Last edited:
That's ok, link at the circuit source then test individually at the circuit end.
R1 (L1) + R2 (E)
R1 (L2) + R2 (E)
R1 (L3) + R2 (E) for example.
Yeah so that’s ok to link l1 l2 l3 all to earth and there for take reading at all 3 phase that’s maybe where iam getting mixed up then we must have put Kim’s to earth for like I.e socket circuits

You may be getting confused because there is only one reading required for R1+R2, even for 3 a phase circuit.... even though they are all linked at circuit source, which means you can test continuity of all three phases.

Reply to Testing 3 phase (r1+r2) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock