Discuss Testing my own work.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm in the process of building my own house. obviously being an electrician with testing and inspection and 18th edition I'm doing my own electrics. Now the question is... as I'm an employee, I myself aren't registered with an affiliation like niceic etc. Can I sign off my own stuff? Or does it have to be registered...
Thanks Adam

It's purely the notification part for you then. As you will paying building control anyway, also notify them that you are a fully qualified electrician, that you are carrying out the electrical work yourself and will provide them with an EIC at the end.

Contact your LBC, ask if they will accept you qualifications, then ask them how much.

Edit, if you doing any building work that requires approval from BC, the electrical work will be covered under that. Just need suitable certification.

post#3 is the definitive answer. just consult with LABC beforehand. they will want a copy of your 17th/18th and maybe your 2391.

all right smart arse.. post #3 and post #4. now where's my treat? :D:D:D.

irrespective of whether you are qualified, yes you can do your own certification but you cannot notify your own work unless with a scheme, technically you will have to pay them a works fee to notify your own work. This fee may already be included in your fees or they may charge you an additional fee. Speak to the BCO as they may be reasonable and accept an EIC.

If you are already experienced in doing inspection testing and completing EICS could you just do the paperwork and notify through your employer by sweet talking the boss?
That would be a breach of the terms of their membership given that they did not carry out the work.

That would be a breach of the terms of their membership given that they did not carry out the work.
Surely that would depend on how the boss / company viewed it and what arrangement the OP has with them I.e OP does work in his own time but on behalf of the company. I’m no expert on the membership terms but just thought I’d chuck that in :confused:

Surely that would depend on how the boss / company viewed it and what arrangement the OP has with them I.e OP does work in his own time but on behalf of the company. I’m no expert on the membership terms but just thought I’d chuck that in :confused:
Presumably he would be paying them the going rater for the job were that true. And there may be some supervision and certainly direction when and how to carry out the associated works.

I also guess a Scheme would see that as circumventing the need to of membership of the said Scheme = lost revenue = breach of T&C's. :)

Reply to Testing my own work.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock