Discuss The Competent Person Magzine in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

brav

-
Reaction score
Anyone read the reply about junction boxes and what is and isnt classed as an accessable areas in the Q&A Section.
What were all ur thoughts that the writer says under floorboards IS classed as an accessable area as its accessable to an electrician/inspector with the correct tools but not to an house owner and that there should be a label abovethe floorboard telling an electrician/inspector there is an JB their?

So following that logic everywhere is accessible to trained people with the right tools etc.

my own thoughts are a non-maintainance free joint should be accessable WITHOUT the need for tools etc other than a driver to gain access to the enclosure.....i just hate joint boxes under floors and in inaccessable places.....like tucked away in the corners of roof spaces n stuff n all....

Occam's razor applies here for me, if I can get to it it's accessible. How I get to it, or who else can get to it is irrelevat.

Its the Napit mag,I just read it

The answer was as stated by brav.a screwed jb under a floor board is accessable,if the floor is tiled, its not accesable (wow that's enlightening):rolleyes:
Accessability for a spark is not the same as accessability to a householder

They waffled on about partitions,exemptions and Mf and underground joints
All in all they gave the same reasoning and opinion as this forum as done in the past
A jb under the floor is both accessable and non accessable,the term is variable depending on how you want to interprit it

In simple terms the answer is still as clear as it always has been :cool4:

You (as in everybody) have an opinion and so do I,Which one is correct. Mine of course

What a load of old tosh about whether a screwdriver is needed, or an "x marks the spot" diagram is present, or whether it is under a removable floor covering with labels above.
My rule is simple....Under floorboards I fit MF boxes. Lofts I don't.

What a load of old tosh about whether a screwdriver is needed, or an "x marks the spot" diagram is present, or whether it is under a removable floor covering with labels above.
My rule is simple....Under floorboards I fit MF boxes. Lofts I don't.
yeah but the only reason you`d have joint boxes in a loft thesedays is if some emptyhead decided to wire the up lighting of em......just a crap way of wiring lighting.......why the hell dont they just 3 plate it.....

yeah but the only reason you`d have joint boxes in a loft thesedays is if some emptyhead decided to wire the up lighting of em......just a crap way of wiring lighting.......why the hell dont they just 3 plate it.....

What about the 12v lights in the bathroom?
how would you connect the wiring to the transformer?

or multiple downlights in a kitchen, bedroom or elsewhere.

You can make any JB accessible with the right tool, such as a contra-rotating circular saw. But not a tool of choice when doing I&T. So I suspect the JB has to be 'easily' accessible. That means one level of accessibility not a Chinese puzzle or Tomb Raider markings on the walls.

Apply common sense to the regs and you get a sensible installation; apply a politically sensitized EU statute of bylaws to the regs and you end up with the need of a Barrister every time you install a light fitting......

Well, I'll take that as you calling me an emptyhead, as there are times when I find using the line enclosures and wago connectors in a loft space a preferable way of connecting.

Reply to The Competent Person Magzine in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock