Discuss "The Great Debate" - Plug Top or just Plug? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I fear that all this conversation about electrical accessories has just turned into a mass debate - good to see @GeorgeCooke out of his cave post hibernation - someone feed him some honey please

No. It is a plug for a bath (you would need to quote the size in mm).

It is a plug for an electrical device (you will need to quote the size 5A, 15A, 13A etc and the fuse value if the latter).

So E.G. I need a 35mm plug for my bath, preferably white.

OR. I need a 13A plug with a 5A fuse for my table lamp.

I'd always fit a 3 amp fuse for a table lamp.

With incandescent lights a 3 amp fuse will often blow when the bulb fails, a 5amp one won't.

But the fuse is to protect the cable not the lamp on the end of it.

As you say: some Electricians aren't very bright.

And how many table lamps actually use old GLS filament lamps these days, very few I'd suggest. All the table lamp manufacturers who fit 3 amp fuses during manufacture can't be very bright either I suppose ?

With incandescent lights a 3 amp fuse will often blow when the bulb fails, a 5amp one won't.

But the fuse is to protect the cable not the lamp on the end of it.

As you say: some Electricians aren't very bright.
what about the lamps/bulbs along the circuit, not at the end? don't they require protection also?

The 3a fuse is a habit from pat testing where rewirable plug tops on items <700w should have 3a fuses. Anything else 13a.

Although a 750w led bulb in the table light would make me a very bright electrician indeed.
It would certainly make it easier to see while I'm terminating my satellite cable.

And how many table lamps actually use old GLS filament lamps these days, very few I'd suggest. All the table lamp manufacturers who fit 3 amp fuses during manufacture can't be very bright either I suppose ?

Not many I agree. You are right about manufacturers. Most don't know the fuse is to protect the cable not the lamp on the end of it.

Reply to "The Great Debate" - Plug Top or just Plug? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock