Discuss Third Solution Anyone ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Paul N

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

I would like to have a Ring Video Doorbell fitted to my garage - the version 2 which runs directly off the hard wired doorbell.

The Issue

I don't have a doorbell at present and the garage Consumer Unit (see pic) is full. I have been provided with the following advice;

Solution 1 (The costly one)
Have a larger CU installed and have a Wylex Bell transformer attached to the Din Rail so that the bell wire runs directly to the Ring device.

Solution 2 (The budget one)
Add a separate feed to the existing lighting MCB and then to a wall mounted bell transformer and onwards to the Ring device.

My questions are:

1. Is there an advantage to having a bell transformer within the CU ?

2. The 16amp MCB (wall sockets and door opener) in the CU already has two separate feeds into it as there wasn't enough room in the box when the electrician originally fitted them, so I'm presuming (NEVER PRESUME !!) that 'doubling up' would be ok for the 6amp lighting MCB ?

3. Is there a Third solution (without opting for a wireless Ring Device) ?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Paul

Attachments

• Third Solution Anyone ? Garage CU .JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    Garage CU .JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 3
Yes, another 2 module enclosure next to the one in your picture that will contain the doorbell transformer. Fed directly from the lighting MCB.

tap into the lighting MCB and fit a stand alone transformer.

The transformer doesn’t have to go at the CU.... fused outlet off the socket circuit, or tapped off at a light switch (if you have live and neutral)

I can’t believe the transformer that comes with Ring has exposed terminals

Yes. Any DIN standard device can be fitted into any DIN rail consumer unit, as it is not fitted to the bus bar.
But you might have to cut the busbar to make it fit.... isn’t that altering original parts?

im not trying to disagree with anything here.... just devils advocate.

Cutting a bus bar is something you have to do in many consumer units anyway.
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to explain about the DIN rail transformers I hadn't thought about checking them for being standardised fits, this would save a lot as the prices are very different between Wylex and e.g. BG. Thanks once again Paul

Reply to Third Solution Anyone ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock