Discuss timer on a din rail in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gaz26

Hi guys, i'm a newbie and very much hope i can both test your minds and answer some questions to all of you.
Just wondering if anyone has ever installed a digital timer in a dis board before?
I've one here, its a 7 day,single channel ,single module din rail digital timer. i can set the times but had no wiring diagrams.
Its a bit like this one;
http://www.timeguard.co.uk/pdf/instructions/syn160-sul180.pdf
Its to placed next to the 6 amp mcb in the board and have the lights on a timer.
I do know there is no neutral switching, so what i'm thinking is L- live from a link from the 6 amp mcb N- neutral and 1 is load to lights . Am
i correct in saying this?
What goes in 2
Any other ideas,?

Looking at the instructions, it's not clear at all is it? I'd be inclined to give the manufacturers a ring and clarify/give them a roasting for having crap instructions. Or are the instructions in the packet more detailed?

how many terminals are there? the Hager electromechanical one has 4 and the digital one has 6. connected the same basically i think, but the digital has choice of a NC contact as well.

from looks of it they just want L & N supply for the timer itself then a switched live for the load.

yeah the instructions are no use at all. there are 4 terminals. 1 and 2 at the top. 3 and 4 at the bottom. thinking now, i think the live from the mcb goes in to 1 and a neutral from the bar into 2. on the bottom 3 would be the live out , but what the hell is 4 for? lol

Looking at the picture and reading the terminals anti clockwise with terminal 1 top left I think they are as follows:

1. Neutral supply in for timer operation
2. Live supply in for timer operation
3. Switched circuit live supply in
4. Switched circuit live supply out (switched live)

If a single phase board you could have either a seperate mcb to feed each of the live supplies in or you could common terminals 1 and 3 and have both fed from the same mcb. Make sure your load does not exceed the contact rating of terminals 3 and 4.

As I said that's what it looks like to me. Hope it helps.

All you need is to put a supply to it on whatever terminals it says supply needs to be on, then link from the line (live) to the common of the switched terminals, and out from the switched side to your lights. Make sure the lighting neutral goes in the same terminal as the timer neutral.

If you are unsure, get a plug top on a bit of flex, and stick a supply onto it and play about with the time settings till you get it switching, and get a continuity tester across the other terminals to see which ones you need.

Some timers are quite complicated, others are simple, instructions are nearly always crap. You may just have to figure it out for yourself , it will only go bang once !:eek:

from the picture in the pdf it just looks like top left is 'Line', bottom left is 'Neutral' and the right hand terminals are the switched, wouldn't you just have a dedicated circuit to control the coil on the left terminals and then the switch line just go through the right hand terminals on the way to the light?

Reply to timer on a din rail in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock