Discuss To the new wannabe sparks - in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jim90

-
Reaction score
First job, check to see why a fountain is tripping, first guess the fact that the lake has iced up doesn’t help! Once deiced furiociously ( my apprentice actually said he’d p*ss on the lake to speed the process - politely declined )
We checked out the supply and had a dead short L-N-E, found the cable chewed through by some hungry water based rat! Done a good job too.
Thank god it was a floating fountain. Otherwise I’d be sending the lad in, armbands in hand.

To the newbies, this time of year is cold, -3 to be exact. So maybe stick to the office based role in the warm with the new office chicks giving you tea and coffee all day

Anyway, something a bit better than ‘help me with this or that’
Anyone else up to anything half decent today? No pictures of warm fireplaces please, I’ve pretty much frozen over.

3373D09F-7C94-4292-91E0-DC103AA5B1A3.jpeg

I'm taking the winter off.

Rodents are a pain, I've had squirrels chew through a chandelier flex in a church roof. We sleeved the replaced flex with steel flexible conduit and then installed a squirrel alarm to keep the blighters away.

Yeh it is that time of year and outside work is getting harder for me anyway. Numb fingers do not help with fiddly work. Got a good pair of gloves from screwfix though Stanley ones that really help. I look like a yeti in this season with berghaus undercoat and woolies and trapper hat scarf etc. Gotta be done!

I would love the winter off.
It’s the ‘oh, is it cold out there?’ Kinda remarks that grind me. No love, I’m dressed like I’m about to go deep sea fishing off the coast of the North Pole for a laugh.
The first time, just a polite gesture, the 10th, is annoying.

It's not too bad, it's funny how during the winter windows aren't in and by summer the windows are on but the air con hasn't been commissioned so you're essentially in a green house.

I'm only off because I jacked a cards job to go back to being self employed, just had a massive house move and I'm not starting anything new till January because I'm about to go Italy.

It's not too bad, it's funny how during the winter windows aren't in and by summer the windows are on but the air con hasn't been commissioned so you're essentially in a green house.

I'm only off because I jacked a cards job to go back to being self employed, just had a massive house move and I'm not starting anything new till January because I'm about to go Italy.

Ha Ha Ha, I remember those days in winter on the 10th floor of an office block with no windows bending galvanised conduit conduit and in winter stuck in a dark damp boiler room in the basement.

Worst job I had was making off Pyro ends for some balcony lights at the V+A museum whilst stood in a foot of snow, that stuff sure does stiffen up in the cold.

Ha Ha Ha, I remember those days in winter on the 10th floor of an office block with no windows bending galvanised conduit conduit and in winter stuck in a dark damp boiler room in the basement.

Worst job I had was making off Pyro ends for some balcony lights at the V+A museum whilst stood in a foot of snow, that stuff sure does stiffen up in the cold.

Thinking about it, I'd rather be in the open air, it's horrible being in the basement in winter. Start work, dark outside, leave work, dark outside, after being in the dark, all day. Bloody depressing.

Making off pyro in those conditions must have been pretty terrible, hope they all meggered off ok...

As usual I've been working in switch rooms and exchanges all summer, as the temperature drops we move onto street works... Same crap every year...

Thinking about it, I'd rather be in the open air, it's horrible being in the basement in winter. Start work, dark outside, leave work, dark outside, after being in the dark, all day. Bloody depressing.

Making off pyro in those conditions must have been pretty terrible, hope they all meggered off ok...
They worked fine I was proud as I was only 20 at the time, it was was part of the build for the new restaurant at the time.

Pyro was my favourite thing to work with still have my self made stripping tools I could also strip Pyro with a large screwdriver (not Vodka and Orange)

Weird place, walking around the basement one day I opened a door and in front of me where the WHO's boots from Tommy

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual I've been working in switch rooms and exchanges all summer, as the temperature drops we move onto street works... Same crap every year...
I had that when we did electrical works in BT Exchanges. A common cause was because the planning team did the outside stuff in the summer, and the inside stuff in the winter. Then take the few months delay for the works to go ahead...

I was wondering about the gender neutral thing under your avatar, think I begin to understand freezing your bo----ks off like that.

You can be whatever you want now-a-days..
Due to the majority of humans being muppets I'm changing my race to Vulcan or Klingon... Not sure which yet..

You can be whatever you want now-a-days..
Due to the majority of humans being muppets I'm changing my race to Vulcan or Klingon... Not sure which yet..
Vulcan would be my choice, you only have to look at the Vulcan bird in Star Trek Enterprise. Couldn't handle all those teeth and ridges on a Klingon Female.

Reply to To the new wannabe sparks - in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock