Discuss Tonights Callout. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Snapester

Got called out to a burnt out fuse carrier on Wylex rewireable CU! Classic! It was a 1361 carrier with a 30amp fuse that hadn't blown but the board was melted pretty good!
R1+R2 the circuit to find out which one it was, located it to the shower circuit, which tested good 0.11 from board to shower, but the isolation switch was broken possibly burnt out i expect having never been turned off in its life duration.
No signs along the circuit of over heating although the cable was 4mm undersized for its use.

What could of coursed such an overload do you think, i could only put it down to bad connection in switch or shower not been correctly turned off after use? Ideas?

Cheers

In my experience the burning is usually confined locally to the weakest link, be it the cable itself, or a high resistance joint, I would expect it to be either at the fuse to board interface itself, or possibly to the terminations to the fuse carrier terminal.

See what others think.

Last edited:
as above. bad connection at the fuse.

Yeah well I usually would say most resistive joint but it was locked tight into the carrier! Strange but I guess it would have to be as the overheating was only there!

Tonights Callout. detail of damage 2 - EletriciansForums.net

Yep weakest part of a heavy load circuit I have lost count of the burnt out shower switches I have had to replace plus a CU as above all due to slack connections

And that is why I hate rewireables. Should be outlawed across the country. Horrible things and lethal. If I was a millionare i would get a campaign agaist them going, only place they should be is in the bin!!

Just to add if you look at the picture that was the second time it happened plus me thinks the owner did a quick repair but with a blunt screwdriver mind should not complain its good business for me

Reply to Tonights Callout. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock